The Water Cooling Saga begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you were watercooling the "whole" system? I definitely would of watercooled the NB/Mosfets.

Make sure your gpu waterblocks aren't putting any kind of a bind on the card to pci-e slots.

Ugh, cooling the mosfets with water is just adding excess heat to your loop. They are perfectly happy roasting away at 60-70C. A simple low speed fan is more than enough to keep those temperatures in line.

Ugh, cooling the mosfets with water is just adding excess heat to your loop. They are perfectly happy roasting away at 60-70C. A simple low speed fan is more than enough to keep those temperatures in line.

That may be true with other systems but if your wanting to overclock the i7, especially the 980X, you better keep the mosfets cool.

Well I'm gonna put a couple fans in there and see if I can keep temps low enough for now. Failing that, I'll have to get a full waterblock for my mobo; because everything is connected via a heatpipe I can't just do the NB and not the SB or mosfets, etc.

I've got to order a Dual Parallel SLI bridge and two Links for my GPUs (you'll see why when I post up the pics :p) and an angled connector. I'll post the pics up when I get back from church

edit: or would the crystal link connectors be a better idea? How do they work?

Pics:
img7620.jpg

img7622z.jpg

img7624b.jpg

Well I'm gonna put a couple fans in there and see if I can keep temps low enough for now. Failing that, I'll have to get a full waterblock for my mobo; because everything is connected via a heatpipe I can't just do the NB and not the SB or mosfets, etc.

I've got to order a Dual Parallel SLI bridge and two Links for my GPUs (you'll see why when I post up the pics :p) and an angled connector. I'll post the pics up when I get back from church

edit: or would the crystal link connectors be a better idea? How do they work?

Crystal link connectors work as a straight path between two or more videocard water-blocks. They work the same as having a tube go straight from one card to the next. So really they are more for looks than anything else. Your fine with your setup as is, except for perhaps the lack of a backplate. A backplate shouldnt provide hardly any performance gain but it looks nicer, and keeps your cards vital parts safe from dust, debris, etc. I'm not sure how necessary it is on the Fermi cards, but the HD5870 can safely operate without a backplate.

Hmmmm, apparently the overheating mosfets/nb wasn't the issue. I rigged a 120mm fan over the top just to provide some gentle airflow and that worked a treat, they're all nice and cool now.
Here's the weird bit:

I can play Crysis Warhead on Enthusiast settings with AA set to max as well, and everything's fine.
Then I OC'd the GPUs a little bit, and the problem happened again like 10 seconds after applying the OC (when I tried starting Counter Strike). FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

hmm, you reckon maybe it could be a power issue? i don't suppose you have a couple other kilowatters laying around somewhere to test with :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom