$1200 Two Week Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAGX02

Solid State Member
So I'm looking to build a gaming/multimedia PC to replace my OLD Dell Dimension 4300 from 2001. No SLI or Crossfire or anything like that for me.

Newegg.com Shopping Cart

CPU: Intel Core i5-760

Processor: Gigabyte UD3

GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic 2GB 256-bit

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (Model F3-12800CL7D)

PSU: CORSAIR 850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 80+ Certified

Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa (132 x 100 x 152mm)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Full Tower ([W]240 x [H]560 x [D]560 mm)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Cable: Nippon Labs 39.4" SATA III Flat Cable with Latch Model SATA3-1M

DVD: SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe

Just looking for some feedback from some experienced builders as this will be my first DIY. Firstly I just want to make sure everything is compatible and are quality parts. I'm probably going to do some moderate OC to my i5-760 as well.

I'm not sure if I should get 8 gigs or stick with 4? With the combo I got, it basically costs me about ~$60 more for 8.

And I don't know if I should get a regular GTX 460 or the 2GB version? It seems like it can't hurt for an extra ~$20-30?

Also, with the Zalman, I've heard of issues fitting both into the case and into the Mobo. From the dimensions it looks like it will fit in my large case, but will it end up blocking any RAM slots? I'm not even sure how tall this memory is.

I also have no idea whether I need a latch or left/right angle SATA cable?

And finally, I'm not sure if I should get a better (UD3R, UD4, UD4P) Mobo? I won't ever do SLI but I don't know what else I would use those extra slots PCIE slots for? Keep in mind, I will be using SATA III and USB 3.0 which I think will use up something, I couldn't understand it exactly.

An extra 4GB for $60? I would go for it.

I would stick with the 1GB 460. The extra GB actually seems to slow the card down.

It doesn't look like the cooler's fan will block your RAM. it will be fairly close, but it should be fine.

The SATA ports look to be pointing off to the side. If so you don't need an angled cable unless you just want it to turn 90 degrees coming out of the drive.

Yea the GTX 460 just got a price drop, def gonna stick with that. Probably the MSI beau it's less expensive, has a long warranty, and does nice limited self-OC.

Any other ideas or tweaks?

I've been looking into them, I'm thinking I should perhaps wait until next month then, to see what even the new 69xx cards look like and maybe a small price drop for 68xx? I'd also want to see some of the new editions that come out for the 6850 in a few weeks time... I want to compare noise and power consumption since performance seems about the same as the GTX 460.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom