WHS Video transcoding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurningSkyline

In Runtime
My parents are really into media, and the computer I built them a while back barely has anymore hard drive space. My dad wanted to work on a project one of these weekends building a home server for us to use. While looking through parts we could use, I was curious if there were any really good media transcoders for us to use on WHS. I was also wondering if they could take advantage of hardware acceleration. (CUDA?) If so, Get a cheap Nvidia card, like one of these cards:
8400 GS
9400 GT, 9500 GT
GT 220, GT 240
GT 430, GT 440?

If not, Integrated Graphics will do.

Windows Home Server isn't really intended to do stuff like media transcoding. It's pretty much just for backups, managing your systems, and storing shared media and files.

Also most gpgpu based tanscoding software produces inferior quality results compared to traditional cpu based alternatives.

I don't see me listing the motherboard important... Plus I have not purchased parts yet.

Anyways, Where could I find a comparison between CPU and Geforce GPU?
If it is much lower quality, I wouldn't do it. Otherwise, I would still offload that to the GPU :p

The Server will be for User Folder backups, Movies, TV shows, Music, Pics, Important documents, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom