Apple blocking Flash, Java and restricting developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
This is a double slam to developers. Not only is Apple going to stop Java based apps from entering their App Store, but they are also forcing every application to go through the App Store as well.

So there was an announcement the other day that Apple was going to block "apps using “deprecated or optionally-installed technologies” will be rejected from the App Store. Java is an optionally installed technology, so it looks like Java programmers are out of luck when it comes to OS X software design."

Full Story on that located here.

The other aspect is the fact that Apple is going to try and use the App Store for everything.

Full Story here.

It appears that Apple is ready to do to Mac OS what they've done to their iPhone and iPad - lock out applications that do not pay to be in their “Mac Apps Store.” Gawker reports that in order for developers to put their applications in the new App store that they will have to submit the programs for Apple review and concede to giving Apple 30% of their revenue from sales. If developers refuse, they will lose the easy accessibility and automatic update features.

So now programs will lose the auto update feature forcing users to hope that their programs come with such a feature. But add into that if you want to develop free software and give it out, you still have to pay out of your pocket to even get it noticed. So if you develop a free app and have it on their store, you lose money by doing so.

I know i am not a developer or anything like that. But this seems like a big slap in the face to those that want to create Apps for any device created by Apple.

Wow, Apple really is neglecting there users in the end... Developers or not, a LOT of stuff uses java...

And they wonder why people have gotten to the point of hacking up the OS.

Well this is just pushing people to jailbreak their devices. I mean without the ability to have these things supported by default it is really the only option if people want to really be able to use their device.

Well ok this is just going to affect there app store, it's not going to affect a normal application installation for day to day use just the application store and I can see where they are going with this a closed ecosystem while not totally a good idea is a good idea from a product life cycle point of view.

It is only a matter of time before they stop JAVA entirely on there computers/phones.

Java has never been an option on their phones as far as I know.

The whole app store on a pc seems like a terrible idea to me. Sooner or later all of this crap is going to catch up with Apple.

Is apple making it so you can't install apps you download from a place other then the app store? If their only blocking java and flash from the app store then its not too big of a deal to me.

They are not blocking all apps. They are just making it more difficult. While not having Java and Flash might not be a big deal to you, it is a big deal to many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom