Voltage going crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
I have my HD5870 overclocked to 1GHz at 1.25V and it has worked pretty well the past few days, but it just did this and I didn't mess with any settings. I was running Folding@Home. The screens (3 monitor Eyefinity configuration) flashed to solid colors (gray and red) for a split second and I checked on Afterburner to see that the voltage had shot up to 1.6V and was running at 88C. I immediately killed F@H and applied my Overdrive profile (900/1300 stock voltage).

Why would it randomly dump that much power into the card without me setting it? Is there some sort of failsafe or is Afterburner an unstable piece of software? If it randomly decides to burn up your card I don't ever want to touch it again. Is there a tool with more reliable voltage control? My 5870 is a reference design by Diamond Multimedia with the Volterra regulator, assuming the stock BIOS as it has the 900/1300 limitations in Overdrive.

wtfly.png

Sounds like your card may have a faulty voltage regulator.

I use MSI's Afterburner with a EVGA card and I see no reason not to use it with a Diamond card.

No, more like, using MSI software with ASUS hardware and vice versa, some software has options that can be enabled that another brands hardware may not support. I am just kinda used to how software used to work, guess it has changed a bit over the years.

With my card being a reference design, I don't think that would be the case. The reference boards are pretty much the same between manufacturers because they use the exact same PCB and cooler. If it was a custom design then it might be an issue.

Yea, back in the day manufactures didn't use the reference designs very often, now in days, it seems they all do for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom