My new computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyker

Solid State Member
Hey guys. I'm doing a computer build, my first ever one really. Hoping someone could look over what I've got let me know if everything looks ok, no lack of wattage, wrong socket type, missing components or anything. This computer will be used for just about everything and pretty much constantly. Web surfing, a lot of video, occasional PhotoShop and SketchUp, and a lot of gaming (RTS, FIFA, RPGs) with many games installed at the same time. Planing to keep my AlienWare case (for now), monitors, 1.75 TB spread across three other WD internal drives, and 4TB on two external USB.

*Links are all NewEgg for ease of use; but I'm looking elsewhere to buy because I'm in CA.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - HIS iCooler V H583FN1GD Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/Eyefinity
---Would it'd be worth doubling this to xFire this later on. Never done it so don't know anything about it.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
---Just 4GB for now, but plan to up to 8GB (same type) after Christmas.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

-----------------------

I want to stick with stock fan/hs on the CPU for now. Later on if noise or heat turns out to be an issue looking to get a Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler

Later on get a new case:
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Thanks for any help.

Sorry no CA meaning California. NewEgg is headquartered in LA so I have to pay sales tax on anything I buy from them. With this shopping cart it's a little more than $72 extra. So if I could find the same components elsewhere for around the same price I'd save.

Actually, Newegg has two warehouses. One in NJ as well. But I would guess the majority of the parts would be from CA.

I know Tiger Direct's warehouse is in Northern Chicago. About 30 miles from me. Over the border, so I pay no tax. :p

Yeah it doesn't matter what it is. If a company has any presence at all in a particular state (even just a call center) the state will collect taxes on purchases made from there. I've found all but the HD and vCard at Amazon but without the NewEgg combos and promo codes if I buy it there it's going to be about the same price (actually a dollar more if I avoid the taxes). So I've got to play around with it some more see what I can get from where for what.

You guys don't see any issues with those particular parts though?

I live in TN and NewEgg has a warehouse here, but even with taxes it still comes out cheaper than other places. especially with their killer combos.

Any Reason I should? Honestly I don't know a lot about vCards, it's not that I really use the ones I have. I game but I'm not into FPS, no Crysis, Far Cry 2 or anything that demanding. Mostly just strategy games, football manager, and rpgs.

I compared different models from the ATI 5000 series. The 5850's usually run a hundred dollars more than the 5830's. The 5850 is a jump from 1120 to 1440 stream processors but that hardly seems worth a C note.

NVIDIA is similarly priced but doesn't look like there's a lot of difference between the two. They use 'processor cores' (a lot fewer than NVIDIA's) 'stream processors' I have no clue what, if any, difference there is between the two.

Here's one of each in comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom