Sorta a noob to all this, Please point me the right way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spade88

Beta member
Hello, new member here. Well.. I have been gaining interest in computers lately to maybe someday build my own computer (ie. prepare for diablo 3)! Could someone point me in the right direction as far as just learning how a computer and its components work? I could just ask for a build and all, but i wanna learn HOW to do it all.

Well I am somewhat of a new tech myself. I'm 17 years old and about 2 to 3 years ago my uncle ( a computer tech) started me off learning the components of a computer so I could start fixing it myself instead of shipping it to him across the country everytime it broke down. What I did to start off was open the case so you can see all the parts, and learn to identify where each component is located and what it does (ie. locating the motherboard, PSU, GPU). If you have your motherboard's manual, that will help you even further to see how the CPU and RAM are inserted to the board, the different settings that you can adjust in the BIOS. That's a good start as far as the basics go. Once you feel comfortable knowing where everything is and how to properly insert new components, I would by yourself some new RAM and swap out the old one. Mess with the DRAM settings in the BIOS to overclock a bit. Then try replacing a CPU. That is a bit more tricky to do considering you have to be extreamly careful with the chip, otherwise you are screwed. When handling a motherboard always remember to be gentle but firm, and whatever you do don't slip and slightly hit the motherboard with a screwdriver. Trust me... not a good idea.

Thats essentially how I got started, if you have any questions or comments let me know. I'm sure other techs who reply will have different methods considering about 98% of them are far more experienced than me.

Thanks for the input! I would start breaking stuff, but unfortunately i have this stupid HP laptop that doesn't allow new components! This is why i have to build mine from scrap. I guess im not too concerned about how to get the hardware in, or where it goes. Just more software maybe, and terminology?? Like where to go once i have a computer new computer strapped up? I know I have a lot to learn, just don't know where to begin.

Nvm guys, I found out Newegg has a great learning center. Ill start there. Ill be hearing from u guys down the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom