Laptop not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KojiInari

Baseband Member
Hey, I've had a laptop for a while now, (6 years) and it's getting up there in age, but it normally works well for taking notes in class and instant messaging/internet browsing at the library, etc. when I can't be on my desktop.

For about the last half year, its battery has been shot. If I unplug it, it dies immediately, but I was ok with plugging it in all the time considering how it was being used.

I was looking up something online when the power cord accidentally got knocked out of the back and the computer shut off. No big deal, so I plugged it back in, but for some reason, it won't boot.

The light will go on on the power button and the fan will whir to life, but after a couple seconds it turns off and the hard drive makes that beep noise that they make when the power is cut. Then it will start up again for a couple seconds and repeat. I cannot force shut it down as it restarts itself before I can hold the button long enough.

I looked around online for this problem and found several suggestions. So far I have taken out the battery, unplugged the power cord, have reseated the RAM and have taken out the hard drive and placed it back in. Originally, I thought perhaps my hard drive died, so I tried booting my desktop computer on it, it worked perfectly and I was able to grab my homework and such off of it just in case. Putting the hard drive back into the laptop did not change anything. It also did not change when I tried to turn it on without a hard drive.

The light on the power cord is still working, and overall, nothing seems different about the computer. Any ideas on what caused this would be helpful, and if there are any suggestions on how to save the computer I would be forever thankful (if it is saveable...if not back to pen and paper I suppose, or save up for another laptop...)

Also, the specs of the computer:

Acer Aspire 5520
Windows 7 32 bit
Upgraded to 4 gigs of RAM, otherwise original parts.

I would think you busted the PSU. It's getting power, but not enough to fully boot it.

Can you run it without a hard drive? Just to see if it will post.

Sorry man but it sounds like the power circuit is shot, if the hard drive is working fine, but the machine is not even posting, then i'd say the mainboard is damaged. Only other thing i'd try is removing any and all parts not essential for boot - remove any minicards (e.g NIC [long shot i know]), and make sure you have only one know working stick of RAM in it. If it still wont at least boot to the point its complaining about non-existant boot meadia, then the machine is probably a gonner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom