Faster HHD ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - your over my head on the "rev" stuff. But, if I get the meaning it is possible - even if I get a new XFX 5770, via the lifetime warranty, it will not work in crossfire with the Sapphire card- is that correct?

Possibly, once they move away from the design ATI has given them, then there is no guarantee that anything will work together in this manor.

ATI specified a "2 prong" bridge, XFX modified the design on there cards to use just a single "prong", so in theory, if you used only XFX in the SLI/Crossfire setup, you would be doing ok, but where you are using an original design with another companies slightly different design, the cards are not properly communicating with each other.

The rev 1 and rev 2 and so on, mean Revision, every few months a manufacture might change what type of parts they use for a particular GPU, and will give it a revision number higher than 1, to mean it is no longer an original design.

It is possible to use RBE to modify the fan curves of the cards, so they spin faster. And BIOS mods are permanent, so they'll stay like that if you install new drivers, etc.

Just remember if you flash your video cards BIOS's, use a DOS-based utility, not a Windows-based utility.

Possibly, once they move away from the design ATI has given them, then there is no guarantee that anything will work together in this manor.

ATI specified a "2 prong" bridge, XFX modified the design on there cards to use just a single "prong", so in theory, if you used only XFX in the SLI/Crossfire setup, you would be doing ok, but where you are using an original design with another companies slightly different design, the cards are not properly communicating with each other.

The rev 1 and rev 2 and so on, mean Revision, every few months a manufacture might change what type of parts they use for a particular GPU, and will give it a revision number higher than 1, to mean it is no longer an original design.

Rev1 with the dual prongs is strictly the AMD reference board meaning that it has "virtually" no problems at all out of box. XFX made a rev2 with a single prong which uses a custom PCB and it acts up completely. Causing all kinds of weird problems like he was saying. That is why i suggested simply taking the XFX card out and see if that helps. The different revision boards work fine together its just that XFXs custom board is a piece of junk to say the least.

Well- the whole REV stuff I understand now - thanks to cOrrOsive and PPMuire . Either way I have "fixed" the crash to desktop and the FPS in games by pulling the XFX card. Now the question is: what do I do with the XFX card- I doubt XFX will give me a new one as it still "works" - and even if they do- why would I want it- you cant crossfire them and the sapphire card is working better than the XFX card ever did. So - I have a perfectly good ( maybe) XFX 5770 card that is of no real use to me. I guess I could sell it - but I am unsure if it is really 100% or not. So, I don't want to stick it on some one else. have not had a chance to run the Furmark or the other bench test ( discussed earlier in this thread) using just the Sapphire card ( as opposed to the crossfire setup with the XFX card and the Sapphire card together) - it will be interesting to see results. Will post results ASAP and update you on what XFX says when I try to RMA the card.

Network lag is not related to fps lag at all. SC2 is fixed at 30 fps as far as I know (many RTS-games are). You can have as much network lag as you want, there will be no fps lag. SC2 will 'pause' at time-outs (most RTS do).

When using Fraps, you should save the video to a seperate disk from your game/page file for best performance.

Ok, well, it can "appear" as FPS lag, though, I do get FPS lag with sc2 on my rig with my ISP, but as soon as i play single player, I don't have issues, maybe it's just me and my strange computer. :3

That kinda is what I said, isn't it?
No. I was saying the single or dual prong specified XFX's custom board. I call it a "rev 2" because its their 2nd revision of the card which is a piece of crap. The custom PCB is what is the culprit though, not simply the prong. I was plagued with 4 of these specific cards and they where all junk and i wound up selling them. My 4890 had the same problem, XFX, and custom PCB.

Well- the whole REV stuff I understand now - thanks to cOrrOsive and PPMuire . Either way I have "fixed" the crash to desktop and the FPS in games by pulling the XFX card. Now the question is: what do I do with the XFX card- I doubt XFX will give me a new one as it still "works" - and even if they do- why would I want it- you cant crossfire them and the sapphire card is working better than the XFX card ever did. So - I have a perfectly good ( maybe) XFX 5770 card that is of no real use to me. I guess I could sell it - but I am unsure if it is really 100% or not. So, I don't want to stick it on some one else. have not had a chance to run the Furmark or the other bench test ( discussed earlier in this thread) using just the Sapphire card ( as opposed to the crossfire setup with the XFX card and the Sapphire card together) - it will be interesting to see results. Will post results ASAP and update you on what XFX says when I try to RMA the card.
You can try RMAing the board in hopes that you get a better one or you can sell it and get another Sapphire card. Either way as long as the problem is fixed thats all that matters. Im not sure if BC2 has very good crossfire scaling anyways. You could always try selling both of them and get a 6850 or 6870.

I will try RMA_ if I get a replacement- than I will sell it. If not and they send it back- then I know it is as good as it will be and I will still sell it. BY another sapphire card probably to crossfire down the road- running everything great with just the one card- so now I dont want to mess with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom