Keep the 5770 and Crossfire or GTX 460

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper_13

In Runtime
After reading around the forums a bit i started to take interest in getting the most out of my money.

So after looking at some benchmarks and discussions here and there i started to debate weather i should stick with my 5770 vapor-x which i paid $179.99 plus tax = $203.00 and crossfire it a little bit down the link maybe nov-dec or buy the GTX 460 or the 5830 here are some prices oh and the 465

Im not too much of an expert on GPU's, i just want dont want to regret something when its too late, because i can return my card and get a different one, i dont think i have many days left. Keep in mind im in canada and this is the only store i can buy it from as thats where i bought my 5770

Asus EAH5830 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5 ATI Radeon HD 5830 Chipset (800MHz ) 1GB (4000Mhz) GDDR5 Dual Display DVI/HDMI/Display Port PCI-Express 2.1 Graphics Card | Canada Computers

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB (01G-P3-1370-TR) nVidia GeForce GTX 460 Chipset (720Mhz) 1024MB (3600Mhz) GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card | Canada Computers

Asus ENGTX465/2DI/1GD5 nVidia GeForce GTX 465 Chipset (607Mhz) 1GB (3206Mhz) GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI-I/HDMI Display PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card | Canada Computers

While the GTX 460 is a better card i believe it would do you more good to buy the cheaper second 5770 and crossfire.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is this for gaming?

Yes this is for Gaming, well i can pick up a cheaper 5770 not the vapor-x for 139$ , does it matter if its a different 5770? because it would be allot to spend another 200$ on a 5770

Doesnt matter as long as the chip is the same. The higher clocked card will match the lower clocked card and it will be all gravy. Heres the deal, with my short experience having crossfire 5770s (ridden with problems due to horrible rev2 XFX boards) i noticed that they trail the performance of a 5870. My current 465 with a high OC bests a few 5870s in synthetics here on TF and my buddies 460 is right behind me (hes held back by an i3 but not by to much). On the same system they should give about equal performance. Given the way multi-gpu scaling is in games id say its a 50/50 toss up. Really, what does your wallet say? You could always get a 460, sell your current 5770, and buy another 460 later on for better performance. Or simply get another 5770 now.

Keep in mind that my performance is talking about OCs on all cards in question. If you do not plan to OC your cards then dual 5770s would be the way to go IMO.

well honestly i have the option to return my card and add 20-30$ and go with the 460, and im not to huge on OC i would not mind doing it but i dont like risking things going bye bye on me since i use this computer for school on a dialy basis. so you say if i get an xfx i will encounter problems ? so should i go with a different brand. and if i do get another 5770 i prob wont get it for a while, because im broke from this built i only have limited funds for any upgrades. i know a 130$ isnt much but comparing that to getting just getting a 460 its allot. Another question, if i do go with the 460 would i see a good increase in FPS? or just a little bit

Edit* The store where i bought everything from has another location opening up this Saturday so theyre having a grand opening. im planing to pack up my card bring it with me and who knows mayabe ill find a 5850 for a good price

I can vouch for the XFX card problems- PP Mguire - helped me figure the problem with my 5770's crossfire setup= the XFX card. Therefore, my 2cents = I would go for the one card if it is not too much more. However, this may not apply as you don't have a XFX card and the crossfire setup with your cards may be as good as the reviews say it is. "Crossfiring" the 58xx cards would be kick *** down the road.

Well i checked out some deals on the door crashers and they have the GTX 460 on sale for 189 which is 10$ more than my 5770 should i go for it?

the only sad part is , that i have to pay 5% restocking fee for my returned items so i loose 10$ right there and on top of that the store only carries 10 items per store on their door crashers so i would really have to be one of the first there... freezing my *** off for 2 hours before it opens lol

Well- you have to ask yourself - " how much is "a frozen *** " worth to me". Then do the math!!! Seems like a no brainer- $20 bucks more for a 460 compared to a 5770.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom