AMD processor in a box (PIB) warranty tidbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I am in the process of getting an RMA for my Phenom II x4 965 BE as the memory controller will not let it run in dual channel. In emailing back and forth with AMD I was asked what cooler I use with the chip. I told them that I use an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, to which I was told, "Please be aware that using a third party heatsink does void the warranty on your processor. However my manager has agreed to allow a one time courtesy replacement since your issue is not tied to a cooling issue."

This was the first I had EVER heard of this, so I looked it up this morning:
"This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith. " Source

So, it seems that, in order to not violate the warranty, you have to use the jet engine cooler that comes with the chip. Or at least tell them that you do.

WTF? One more hit on AMD. A heatsink in no way would matter.

Yeah, that's my thought on it as well. Most aftermarket coolers are way better than the one that comes with the chip, but whatever. At least they are going to replace the faulty chip (so far).

That's lucadris, from their point of view they probably see it as the thermal paste is already applied therefore no human error could happen where as you could get someone applying the wrong amount of thermal paste on a new heatsink resulting in it overheating etc.

Hope that made sense.... lol :umm:

It used to be "an AMD approved heatsink", but there was only ever about one of these (it was something obscure as well). Or maybe that is still the policy for non-retail units. MoM, I'd be pretty surprised if Intel didn't have a similar policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom