Next Logical Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but prices for all the GPU's will most likely go down.

Also, the HD 6870 and HD 6850 are the next generation's mid-range cards, using the Barts die (while HD 5870 and HD 5850 are this generation's high-end cards, using Cypress)
Cayman is the high-end GPU, which will be used in HD 6970 and HD 6950

Yes, but prices for all the GPU's will most likely go down.

Also, the HD 6870 and HD 6850 are the next generation's mid-range cards, using the Barts die (while HD 5870 and HD 5850 are this generation's high-end cards, using Cypress)
Cayman is the high-end GPU, which will be used in HD 6970 and HD 6950

Barts die, Cayman, Cypress... I have no idea what these terms mean?

TG

Juniper is the GPU used in the 5750 and 5770
Cypress is the GPU used in the 5870 and 5850
Barts is the GPU used in the 6850 and 6870
Cayman is the GPU used in the 6950 and 6970

Whatever is cheaper. That 940be is a good upgrade from what you currently have and at 66 bucks im not sure you can beat that.

I speak from personal experience that the 940 is a nice little chip. It gets the job done and still hangs in all games with a GTX260 in my server (gf plays on it when the laptop cant cut it).

Only issue with getting DDR2 is that it's being replaced with DDR3 as a standard.
All the new motherboards and CPU's are going to use DDR3, which means one more thing to buy if you decide to upgrade later.

Only issue with getting DDR2 is that it's being replaced with DDR3 as a standard.
All the new motherboards and CPU's are going to use DDR3, which means one more thing to buy if you decide to upgrade later.

Gonna be quite awhile before another upgrade after this one. The upgrade you are talking about would entail new mobo, right? Ain't gonna happen for some years.
:big_smile:

TG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom