Can an AMD AM2+ CPU fit an a AM2 mobo socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookster264

In Runtime
I need to upgrade my CPU for less than $100 and wondered if an AM2+ cpu is compatible with a mobo with an AM2 only socket?

I've read that it can, but may need some bios updates. Is this true? Thanks for your replies.

It is true, but you must check for compatibility on the manufactures website, and make sure your bios revision supports the processor.

My current build is in my sig. I don't have a lot of money to upgrade too much. I am currently running a 512Mb 8800GT gpu though. My problem is I can't run WoW now with the new patch. My FPS is tanked at 1! I was hoping an upgrade in the cpu will help with my overall performance. I score about 7500 on 3Dmark. My cpu scores horribly low compared to the rest. Can upgrading the cpu help with FPS?

Your current CPU should be enough for wow, but, sadly, wow is becoming rather graphically and memory intensive... Might wanna ask around the wow forums what the current requirements for the game are, as they are no longer what's on the box.

I defragged my drives, oc'd my cpu to a stable 2.8 (I forgot I reset my bios sometime back) and lowered the timings on my memory. I now score a 9836 on 3dMark. I know it's not the greatest score, but that was a 31% overall increase in benchmark score. I logged back into WoW and my frames per sec are still at 1. Could there be something else affecting my FPS?

**I returned tot the WoW forums and found that some add-ons have been affecting FPS. I uninstalled all add-ons and deleted all text files from the add-ons folder. Logged into WoW and am running at minimum of 32 FPS with spikes into the mid 60s. I wonder why during the 2 hour phone call with WoW tech support they didn't think of this.

**I still might upgrade to the Phenom II with BIOS update. I already checked my mobo's manufacturer website, but didn't see anything for that kind of support. Should I call their customer support and find out which drivers I need? Thanks again for all the replies. This is why I keep coming back to this forums.

I went poking around and i do not think any 590i SLI board supports the Phenom 2 chips. You can still call XFX though and see for yourself but im pretty sure nobody released bios updates for the support.

Per XFX, they did not continue any support of the 590SLI boards for cpus past the Athlon 64x2 6000. No Phenom based cpu is compatible with the AM2 socket.

However, my brother has an AM2 board made by ASUS and they have updated BIOS that supports many of the AM2+ cpus. They have specific bios updates per cpu you choose.

I have a friend that runs WOW on a single core athlon, a gts 250 and 1gb of ram, no idea how he does it, but I don't think it's your system. Must be something else affecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom