Old rig kaput, need to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyf

Daemon Poster
Hi there,

My computer seems to finally have died, its a problem with and old P5K getting tired of PC2-6400 memory. Essentially it won't POST anymore, the original problem can be seen HERE

OK, so the deal is, I'm happy with this computer's performance, and would happy to buy the same components again, but of course thats not a possibility.

I need a new Mobo, and while I'm at it, I'm happy to freshly start with new RAM - its not clear to me how much the Mobo has fried them. Ideally I'd keep everything else to save expense. I'm not really looking to overclock, just reliability.

So the rig is in my sig.. I need LGA775 socket.. P35 have kindof died and gone, right? Has PC3 finally overtaken PC2 in cost and all?

The PC is Dual boot XP/Linux 32 these days, so 4GB is prolly where its at - The computer sits on all day as a remote linux CFD solver.

So, I'm afraid I've been out of the loop for a while, what are my options?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks, not bad price wise..

I'd love to go further and go Phenom or i*, but to be honest, the computer is as powerful as I need it, and I bought it with the idea of not needing to touch it for years- which I wouldn't if it didn't break

Budget really comes down to 'how much will it cost?' I don't want to spend if I don't need to, and I really don't need much. Essentially I need a Mobo that'll take my CPU, and 4Gb of RAM thats compatible and not silly slow. No need for xfire or SLI.

The only thing is, its on all day, the RAM gets hot, I'd rather it stayed cool! But I'd stick to vanilla timings, I'm not going to be pushing it at all.

Really the thing I'm most out of touch with is : what are the LGA775 chipsets out at the moment, and what are good? When I last was in touch P35 was a solid bet and x38 and p45 were just coming out.

As for the new Intel Socket, am I right in thinking its a new dedicated mobo or nothing? theres no interchangeability with LGA775 (or mobos that support both?)

LGA775 is now dead, so whatever chipsets are out there are it, I am afraid. The Q33/Q35/Q43/Q45/Q57 series were the last ones out, all that NewEgg has are mATX and $115+. As for what's good I couldn't tell you as I only recently began brushing up on Intel due tot he i* series.

The board I suggested is solid. The three bad reviews for the board are idiots, as one give is a single egg for his large GFX card covering the last two SATA ports, and the other two had bad RAM and blamed the board. Plus, using DDR3, you should have better memory speeds than you had with DDR2. I mean, if you have to replace something, why not make it with something better, right?

For cost, DDR3 and DDR2 are about the same anymore. Plus G.Skill's RipJaws series are just freaking awesome RAM.

No, there is no backwards compatibility between any of the i* series and LGA775. At least AMD kept a way for people to still use their DDR2 (AM3/Am2+/AM2 boards) and kept the CPUs across three sockets so far. And now Intel is looking to change sockets again...

+1 for the ASUS M4A89GTD Pro, I just replaced my P35 with one plus a Phenom II x4 955 Black edition and have been very happy with it. The board has very robust cooling and pretty much every new feature available. The BOIS is also very good and has every option you could possibly want for tweaking and overclocking. The only thing I don't like about the M4A89GTD is the stupid vga switch card you "have" to put in the top pice x16 slot when you are only using a single gpu.

RIghty, was putting it off, but computer finally went bsod and crashed from XP, and now won't boot:

It posts fine, and I can get into the BIOS, but once it gets to 'checking NVRAM', it hangs and I don't get the usual second beep. It won't go as far as the OpenSUSE boot option menu, so I can't boot into linux either.

Been putting up with a single 512MB, PC2-5300 dimm for a while now (computer finally spat out the two 1GB 6400 dimms), and switching its socket doensn't work. Given the past problems, its godda be hardware, right? Can't even be bothered to take the GPU out to clear the cmos.

---

So anyway, I figured I'd better just do it! How this? Can't really get the Ripjaws, it would be from a different buyer and I'd pay shipping twice:

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC3-10666

Asus P5P43TD - P43 - LGA775

I won't be OCing (woo! I was so young and crazy back then!), but I'm happy to pay for DIMMs with decent heatsinks.

Plus with my past history of ASUS mobos not taking higher frequency memory, I'm really not keen to buy faster RAM.

How does it look?

Looks nice. You will get a small boost from the DDR3 but not a lot due to your CPU.

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom