X58A-UD3R Room for Crossfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper_13

In Runtime
Hello,

I just recently built my self an ok Gaming rig for the second time, which shows that im no Guru at all this hardware stuff. Anyways i am very satisfied at the build but just recently i started to think about getting Crossfire going, and looked in my Case to find out that there might not be enough space for that to happen, so i came here seeking advice. As i got some pictures to show, and maybe someone here can tell me if i can achieve this or should i go out and by a different motherboard or possibly tower, here are the specs

*Inter core i7 950 - stock
*Cooler Master V6 Heatsink
*X58A-UD3R Mobo
*6gb 1600mhz G.skill Tripple Channel - stock
*ATI Saphire 5770 Vapor-x Graphics Card
*Corsair 750 watt modular PSU
*640gb WD Caviar Black SATA 3
*Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid tower Case
*Samsung 23" 1080p LCD
*ASUS DVD writer
*Microsoft Wireless 3000 Keyboard

Total Cost = $1650 CAD

For my needs its plenty but i would like to get another Video card just so i can play my games smoother, and since the 5770's are like 130$ why not.

Here are the pics of the slots i put a sharpie touching the PSU standing upwords to show a comparison of how much space is available

Imageshack - dsc0107wx.jpg
Imageshack - dsc0108e.jpg
Imageshack - dsc0110d.jpg

just for show lol

Imageshack - dsc0114ho.jpg
Imageshack - dsc0116m.jpg

Ok good, you think the card will be able to breathe in tight space like that? what i mean by that is the fan not being stopped from the pressure?
also i briefly read about this but, will i see a noticeable performance drop since ill be using the 8x pci-e slow

Thanks a bunch, cheers

With just a 5770, you probably won't see much of a performance drop at all. And I was running two GTX480s taht close together :p I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

well thats good news, well when you say that i wont see much of a performance drop on a 5770 what if down the line i end up upgrading video cards and decide to crossfire them and then bam im faced with these huge drops in performance. should i be looking for a new mobo with better PCI-E layout?

You shouldn't have any issues using the second PCIe slot right under your existing graphics card, I have the X58A-UD3R and was thinking about CrossFire for my 5870 if 5870's ever go down in price. The only problem is the bottom PCIe slot which you can't use for dual-slot GPU's (and since almost all GPU's are dual slot it's not very useful for them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom