GPU releases in the next 4 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Hiya folks. I don't follow tech that much so don't know about any upcoming GPU's if indeed any major releases are planned in the next few months. Reason I ask is I'm considering upgrading my Graphics Card, but probably not until Jan-Feb. Now if nothing is coming out which is going to effect prices in a significant way I can have a look around now and plan ahead, but obviously if more high-end cards are planned which will have an impact on the pricing of current cards then looking now may well be a waste of time.

I currently have an ATI HD4870 512mb. CPU is a Q6600 at 3.0-3.2ghz, so obviously I'd need to make sure the CPU doesn't bottleneck a new card, I'm not good at understanding when that occurs to be honest.

My budget will probably be around £200 so as of now that gives me a HD5850 or GTX470 if I push it a little bit.

I imagine for a single card my power supply wouldn't be an issue and it's a pretty good model anyway, Corsair 520w HX.

As I say since building my current rig back in late 08 I really haven't followed any development and so I don't even know how superior the above two cards are against the HD4870, for their price point compared to what a 4870 can be picked up for now I assume they'd give an improvement..but by how much in my rig?

^I wouldn't bank on it.

They were to be released this week according to some sources.

A 5850 is basically a 4870 with dx11 support, and is still a decent card.

I think a better mobo/cpu would be a better start. an i5/ddr3 ram or an x4/ddr3. The oldest part is the q6600

^I wouldn't bank on it.

I think a better mobo/cpu would be a better start. an i5/ddr3 ram or an x4/ddr3. The oldest part is the q6600

Anandtech already has HD 6870 and 6850 cards for testing in preparation for the launch. It may not be out this week but if the press already has fully functional cars the release date will be sooner rather than later.

A HD 5850 is significantly faster than a HD 4870 and they have next to no specs in common. The HD 4870 performs much closer to the HD 5770.

As stated in another forum, online retailers usually start pimping out the new cards as soon as possible, so if they don't have them out...... they aren't out soon.
Nvidia had 480s out for reviews, but took a dogs age to finAlly get released.

Doh, youre right on the 4870 -> 5770 I was thinking the wrong number that was lower...

^I wouldn't bank on it.

The reason I was thinking about the GPU was that I don't have the budget for a new mobo, ddr 3 and a CPU. I was thinking the best component to upgrade to tide me over until end of 2011/start of 2012 would be a better GPU, well like I say, you know just one component to upgrade. My concern is whether the CPU would bottleneck a new card or the 520w corsair wouldn't be enough(though for one card I assume it's ok.). I know a more modern CPU and DDR3 would help a good deal, but I'm sure changing the 4870 to something like the 5850 or this new 6870 would give me some FPS improvement?

It seems the HD6870 is roughly £200, obviously it's new(I assume realised like this week, as some brands of it are available and some to pre-order) but has it been compared to the HD5850, I imagine they're similiar spec wise this the price-point is the same.

I have no idea if a feel of the games I plan to play give any sway to the decision. But looking at 2011 as of now it'll be Dead Space 2, Crysis 2, Dawn of War retribution and then another other RTS's(though I don't think any Sci-fi based ones are planned for 2011 in a big way.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom