Need Certain PC Parts CHEAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

croSSeduP

In Runtime
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 - P4 CPU, socket 478 mobo, DDR mem (not 2 or 3), no PCI-E ports or AGP. It is basically an un-upgradable dinosaur. I have a good working AM2 AMD duo-core CPU I'd like to use in a build to replace the Dell. To do so, all I really need is a mobo and some DDR2 mem. (maybe a PSU, too). Just about ANYthing will be an upgrade from the Dell, so I'm looking to do this really cheap. I, like just about anyone else that has tinkered w/ computers, have PC parts lying around that I'll never be able to use again, 'cause no one wants them. So, I'm looking for an "old" mobo that is AM2, has DDR2 mem. slots, and has at least one PCI-E port for a GPU. Whatcha got, and how much? Thanks!

TG

Oh, I should mention that this computer will be used for LIGHT gaming: Quake 3 Arena, Quake Live, internet flash games, Battle For Middle Earth, Rome: Total War, Wizard 101... If the mobo has "not-bad" integrated graphics to play these types of games, that would be a plus!

Since older Dell cases are hard to work with on upgrading PSU's and getting everything to fit I recommend getting a new case. Something like this will do the trick for $29 with free shipping. Check the good reviews too.

Newegg.com - Rosewill R102-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

and for a ncie PSU get this. It might seem cheap, but for your system tis plenty of juice. Ignore the bad reviews with people running high end systems on it.

Newegg.com - LOGISYS Computer PS575XBK 575W ATX12V SLI Ready Power Supply

Now as for the motherboard, this is a nice AM2 motherboard with DDR2 and nice integrated graphics (ATI HD 3000).

Newegg.com - Foxconn A76ML-K AM3 Ready / AM2+ / AM2 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

The mobo has 2 dimm slots for memory so just get a 2gb module and you can throw another one in there later to make ti 4gb if you need it.

Newegg.com - PQI POWER Series 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model MAD42GUOE

That would make a great setup for what you're trying to do. You can even throw in a pci-E video card later down the road.

You can get all this for under $130 not including tax and shipping, but that will still probably be under $150.

Since older Dell cases are hard to work with on upgrading PSU's and getting everything to fit I recommend getting a new case. Something like this will do the trick for $29 with free shipping. Check the good reviews too.

Newegg.com - Rosewill R102-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

and for a ncie PSU get this. It might seem cheap, but for your system tis plenty of juice. Ignore the bad reviews with people running high end systems on it.

Newegg.com - LOGISYS Computer PS575XBK 575W ATX12V SLI Ready Power Supply

Now as for the motherboard, this is a nice AM2 motherboard with DDR2 and nice integrated graphics (ATI HD 3000).

Newegg.com - Foxconn A76ML-K AM3 Ready / AM2+ / AM2 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

The mobo has 2 dimm slots for memory so just get a 2gb module and you can throw another one in there later to make ti 4gb if you need it.

Newegg.com - PQI POWER Series 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model MAD42GUOE

That would make a great setup for what you're trying to do. You can even throw in a pci-E video card later down the road.

You can get all this for under $130 not including tax and shipping, but that will still probably be under $150.

Thanks for the tips. This looks like the perfect computer to do what I'm trying to do, but believe it or not, $150 is too much money. Since I first posted this, here are some things I've got going:
I have some DDR2 mem. - 2 256 sticks. I know that is only 512 of mem, but I think it will do for now.
I have a Power Up! 450w power supply that should do the trick nicely.
I have noticed with the advent of socket AM3/DDR3 mem that a lot of folks are dumping their AM2/AM2+/DDR2 stuff. Therefore there are a LOT of good deals on eBay right now. I'm looking at bidding on this:
ASUS M2NPV-VM AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD - eBay (item 190456748020 end time Oct-20-10 17:00:31 PDT)
I want to use my current HD that is in the Dell, IF it has the correct hookups that will go along w/ this mobo. I have to take a closer look at the innards of my Dell before I can make that determination.
It it is hard, but not impossible, to get the old Dell case to work, I'm going to do it.
I also found a used 8800GT gpu on Craigslist for $35! Wow! If it ain't burned up, that's a great deal!

TG

256mb sticks really? lol I didn't even know DDR2 made them that small. but dude trust me just fork out the $18 to get least a gig man, thats like a minimum!

Newegg.com - Rendition by Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model RM12864AA800

That PSU you have should be cool tho, I'll agree with you on that.

But yeah that motherboard is nice ti has IDE and SATA so your old hdd will work. but in general buying computer parts off ebay isn't recommended but hey when money is tight just go for it lol. Good luck!

256mb sticks really? lol I didn't even know DDR2 made them that small. but dude trust me just fork out the $18 to get least a gig man, thats like a minimum!

Newegg.com - Rendition by Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model RM12864AA800

That PSU you have should be cool tho, I'll agree with you on that.

But yeah that motherboard is nice ti has IDE and SATA so your old hdd will work. but in general buying computer parts off ebay isn't recommended but hey when money is tight just go for it lol. Good luck!

Yup; they really are that small. I'm holding them in my hand. They're Kingston. Well, I hear ya, but I'm gonna get this "bad boy" fired up w/ only 512meg of ram and see how it does. If it functions even just noticeably better than that POS Dimension 2400, I'll be happy. I'm also going to drop an ATI Radeon X1550 vid card in the only PCI-E slot. I think that will be a better graphics processor than the on-board one.

Peace!
TG

Ahhh,,, All's right with the world...
I finished this computer and it appears to be working well. I paid $25 total for an "old" Biostar mobo I bought off eBay, and $10 for a CD/ROM drive I bought at a computer junk yard, and $18 for longer IDE cable, and that is the total of the money I spend on this "build". I put an AMD Athlon 64 Duo core in this. I also used an ATI X1550 PCI-E gpu I had just kicking around in a drawer for about 3 years. Putting a cpu on a board that has never had that chip on it is a bit hairy. I was afraid it wouldn't even post. Before I started I transferred all the files from the Dell to an ext. hdd. I went ahead and left the Dell drive alone after that hoping that it would fire right up... It didn't. No biggy! I wiped the drive, re-loaded Windows, flew the files back over, and the sucker fired right up. Whew. Now I need to re-install the programs, get all the drivers updated, etc, etc, etc... But, it is a working computer that ought to kick the arse of the Dell Dimension 2400 it is replacing. IT'S ALIIIIIIVE!!!!!! Given how these types of things usually go with me, I'm pleased that it went as well as it did. I had to fart around a little with the Dell proprietary junk, but it wasn't difficult working around those annomolies to get the machine up and running.

TG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom