Faster HHD ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE OFFICIAL TECH FORUMS Benchmarks - Heaven 2.1 started by Sean, very cool graphics to watch , etc. - Ya I have a "normal " PC compared to many on this website. I do think it is a heat issue in my GPU's causing the trouble - checked out the heat monitor program as you suggested- I was up to 99% in a few minutes in the GPU area. SO, will check out if fans are working properly, etc.

Well the benchmark is simply called "Unigine Heaven" for future reference ;) And yes, it is quite pretty because its DX11.

You can use a program called Furmark to stress your GPUs and see if they are over heating. Anything over 92C is to hot but lower with default fan settings is quite normal as opposed to what people want to think.

You can also use a program called Coretemp to monitor the max and low of your CPU temp. After you turn this on i suggest Intel Burn Test, WPrime or something similar to stress your CPU to see your max temp under load. If your stock, anything over 80-85c is excessive.

Please remember that Furmark is a stressing program and is meant to completely max and over do your GPUs. Any real game play wont be as bad, especially in a Crossfire setup due to scaling.

If there is ANY throttling due to heat related causes this will show you. If your temps seem to be in the clear then it probably would be something in the background simply hoggin your resources during game play. The biggest culprit normally would be an anti-virus kicking in or something or a port monitor that is monitoring incoming and outgoing traffic.

When they were at 99% the temp on the GPU was 88 degrees Celsius after playing BFBC2 for about 5 minutes multi-player server online. One 5770 is a FX card and the other is a Sapphire card. Does the Temp monitor software read both GPU's or just one? And the whole PC is basically stock= no liquid, no super coolers, no OC, etc. . Maybe need more fans, bigger fans, isn't there a way to hook up a heat sink to the GPU? Definitely don't want to get into liquids, or heavy duty cash outlay. First will clean case and insure fan function in both GPU"s and the case as I have not done that yet. Then try the Furmark program and get back to you - thanks again.

If you are hitting 88C on your graphics cards, there is a chance they are starting to throttle back or error a lot. I would invest in cleaning the case, and trying to get as much air as possible to those cards.

88C is nothing to be concerned about really. Use the ATI CCC (right click on desktop, top of the list) then head to the "ATI Overdrive" tab. Put your cards at 100% fan and see if that helps at all. It will be really loud and annoying but worth it to get to the bottom of this. If it still does it, then we can rule out GPUs basically. Dont forget to check your CPU temps as well with a mixture of Coretemp and WPrime or Intel Burn Test. Another program to monitor GPUs is GPU-Z which can be downloaded for free from techpowerup.com. If you Google, it should be the first on the list. It has an option to monitor your GPU temps (everything from power phase, to RAM usage, to GPU temps) while running in the background.

Ill be on and off all day to try and help but im also in the process of moving. Another thing i should note, is i had the same problems with my 5770s when i had them. Except my drivers would simply crash to the desktop or other weird things.

OK - will do the cleaning, and reset to 100% in the ATI software this evening. The case fans= Mass cool (3 x 80mm) fans - is that enough air movement ? I did have some total crashes last night to desktop while playing which is new since I installed the crossfire cards. I never had the full Crash to desktop before, also a few moments of a black screen. How can I tell that the crossfire is working properly. The install went step by step- too easy - so call me paranoid. I figured doing the crossfire should take care of any video card problems. But it has not changed anything- in fact slightly worse with the crash to desktop and the few black screen moments.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say, try taking the XFX card out and see if you still have problems. Just fyi all 4 of my 5770s (2 new, 2 RMA) and 4890 where XFX. Had many problems with each card.

well cleaned the fans, went to 'overdrive" played with the fans- now they seems to work better. Before the fans movement in overdrive I Downloaded Frumark- it went to 105 then leveled out and kept there for some time- how long do you let this go for? I will retest furmark now the fans are kicking in. Confirmed both GPU's are working. played BFBC2 with fraps= the FPS was good - then got kicked to desk top - happened twice= Hmm....

after getting kicked to Desktop twice after playing only a few minutes I went back in to Overdrive software and forced the GPU fans to work 75% - then was able to play bfbc2 pretty well- occasional mild lagging- which I think everyone gets - played for 2 hours before getting kicked to desktop. Why wont the GPU fans kick in by themselves? Is this a common problem with ATI GPU's and the software? After 2 hours and getting kicked to desktop (again) I quickly checked the Temps with the program you mentioned- the GPU temp was 74 degrees ( with forced GPU fans at 75%) , but the last CPU data line was 105 degrees. I am at work so will have to copy that data to this thread tonight. You guys might know what the last line of data is so wont need me to do this. NOT sure how to copy the data to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom