Can an 12V 2x4-pin substitute for a 12V 8-pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
The motherboard on the PC I'm building (1st time!) supports 2 8-pin connectors for powering the CPU. My power supply only came with one 8-pin connector, but it also has a connector that looks exactly the same, except it terminates into two 4-pins, so I'm guessing they are basically the same cable. Can I use that cable as a second 8-pin connector? Or do I need to buy a second cable?

No, it's not the PCI connector, I know what those ones are (kind of sort of; they have big labels on them so they're hard to miss lol)... this actually says, on both the power supply, the cable, and the motherboard, "CPU 8 pin". And there was a sticker on the motherboard (otherwise I wouldn't have noticed) which said "supports extra CPU 8 pin".

It's the Gigabit GA-X58A-UD9 R, and I'll be running an i7 980X, so it needs all the juice it can get :) The motherboard manual says that extreme editions need to run with the 8 pin for stability purposes.

EDIT--D'oh! I went in and looked more closely at the manual, and it does say to use a 2x4 for the cpu... so what was the 8 pin CPU cable that was connected to my power supply, and why is there an extra 8 pin connector on my motherboard?

Because folks usually runnning 1500W psus are running extreme systems... ie multi cpu servers. 2 cpus need 2 12V lines.

Seriously though, unless youre tri-sli you could have saved yourself abunch of cash and went with 1000Ws and still been safe.

That part makes total sense, so now I'm just wondering why there are two inputs on the motherboard.

Right now I'll only be running two 5970s, but I figured I should future-proof and just spend a little extra on the 1500W. You never know what you'll add down the road.

So what's the difference, electrically speaking, between the output jacks of a 2x4 and an 8? To me, it looks like all of the wires would end up routed to the same place. Am I missing something?

So I can go ahead and use one 2x4 and one 1x8 (both came with the power supply, so I wouldn't have to buy anything new) to fill up the two slots? I know it's probably overkill, but I've never known of a situation where more electrical headroom was a bad thing lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom