old hp media center POS

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0014

Beta member
my old HP Media Center m7257c is pretty much worthless but its all i got. dont have alot of cash to throw around now, but apparently the nvidia 6600gt i put in it is now dead. the mother board is a Asus P5LP-LE. apparently all the graphics cards im looking at are too powerful for the stock power source and isnt compliant with the pci express x 16. any suggestions as to the best graphics card that will work with this peice of crap till i can afford a new computer (which will likely be a longass time). i was able to run starcraft 2 on lowest settings with a fps of 1-4 until recently so anything that would improve that would be awsome. thanks everyone

You are not going to play StarCraft 2 on a Intel P4. That's misjudgment right there. I'm afraid that you have no choice but to get a new one.

A 6 month old baby can't eat a quarter-pounder.

What's your budget?

There's only so much you can do with something that old. I did find a Pentium D 840 (the fastest CPU your board can run) here.

It can only handle a max of 4GB or RAM, but 32-bit XP will only recognize 3.5GB (including video memory). You could go with 2 x 1GB and either pull the 2 x 512MB or keep them in and make it 3GB.

You will need both a PSU and a graphics card. Here is a decent PSU and here is a good card.

All of these total up to $259. You have to decide if it is worth putting that kind of money into something that old.

lol actually i did manage to play starcraft 2. 800 games of it infact, i simply suffered a ridiculously low fps. however my graphics card has recently been overheating in the 250 F range so ive was looking for a replacement.

and i was kinda just hoping to get whatever is the best graphics card my motherboard can support on stock power source and such. this comp is definitely doomed i just want it to hang on for a bit longer. 200 is way too much, just a graphics card around 80 or so unless for some reason it wouldnt work? thanks for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom