simply tranfering o data from one to another PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimme

Solid State Member
just got a new pc wich does not have to be on the net all I want to do is move data back and forth. Does my second pc have to have internet connection to do this. I dont think so it must be realy easy like a usb cable connected between the two. Or am I wrong and i need to go and get hubs ,network adaptors and so on.

I have an external broadband cable modem connected via ethernet on board, an internal modem, network adaptor on board but says pci fast ethernet adaptor but it is not in a slot this pc is connected to the internet

and all i want is to transfer data to a new bog standard dell
and back again
specs
broadcom 440x/10/100 integrated controler network adaptor
modem intel(R)537edv9xdf pci
can this be done yes I think so by I have read all the threads and my mind is exploding with hubs, routes,tel cables coaxial cables, two male connectors, network setup wizard and so on
so can some one help with this simple problem and what I need to get. the pcs are 1 meter apart and all I need to do is transfer data both ways the second pc does not need internet accsess.
thanks in advance

Hey,
If you only need to move data a few times and its not much you can burn cd's. If not you will need a hub, router or switched cat5 cable to do the job. A router is a great way to go for around $50. I know you do not need internet on the second computer but a router would allow you to have it.

Can't you also use an RS232 cable to transfer the data as well? Aslo, doesn't xp have a file settings and transfer wizard that might help?

it does have a wizard but everything needs to be connectd first before it works. no burning cds is exaclty what I dont want to do.
So you are saying I might as well have internet connection on both as it is just as easy. what would i need to do this and what is the difference between a hub and a router.they seem to do the same thing

The difference between a hub and a router is that a hub simply makes it so all the computers plugged into the hub can talk to one another, while a router is a device that connects two dissimilar networks. A cable modem is technically a router; it connects coax cable to normal networking cable. However it can also be used to connect normal networking cable to normal networking cable, as is the case with commercial routers such as Linksys, Belkin, or Netgear.

A router is not a hub. The commercial routers you see in stores today such as Linksys or Belkin that have 4 ports basically consists of a hub and a router in one plastic box.

------------------------------------------------------

If you can get the network adapters working correctly on the two computers on which you wish to transfer the data between, you can connect the two computers with what is known as a crossover cable without the use of a hub.

------------------------------------------------------

A normal network cable is called a "patch cable" or "straight-through" cable. It is the most commonly used when connecting PC to a hub or a router to a cable modem.

You can buy a crossover-cable from your local computer store and connect the two computers with it.

However. it might be more beneficial to buy a 4 port hub. Not only does it allow for expandability in case you get more than two computers, but it also might cost the same as a crossover-cable, although I don't know for sure. However if you buy a hub and you don't have normal networking (patch or straight-through) cables, you'll have to buy them. If you decide to get a hub, you'll need two normal networking cables and you should connect each PC to the hub with one of the cables.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Once the computers are connected (either with a cross-over cable or a hub and normal network cables), you should be able to go into Network Neighborhood or My Network Places (same thing), go into Entire Network and you should be able to see the other computer. Please post again if you cannot see the other computer; there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take.

From here on, the computer you want to transfer data to will be called computer A, and the computer you are transferring data from will be called computer B.

On computer A, you can right-click on a folder you want computer B to be able to access and go to Sharing. From there you can share the folder. Once the folder is shared, you should be able to double-click on computer A from computer B's My Networking Places and see the folder you just shared.

Double click that folder, and then you can drag & drop files between the two computers.

do i need a second network card in the computer that is directly conected to the internet. if i am going with the hub config wich I will so im gessing the cable has to be ...45 or straight-through cable. because without the second ethernet card how would i get a cable to the hub

If you want to do the crossover-cable technique, you can just unplug the computers from the hub and plug the crossover cable between the two computers.

You only need one network card on each computer. You don't need to do both the crossover and hub solution. Only do one of them.

So you can either have one network card in each computer and connect the two network cards via a crossover-cable, or you can have one network card in each computer and connect them both to the hub via a straight-through cable.

By the way, a crossover-cable and straight-through cable are both "45" cables, but the crossover-cable's wiring is a little different.

--------------------------------

Do you want to connect all three computers to the internet?

Also, I think a hub is only half duplex. Also, when you say

while a router is a device that connects two dissimilar networks.
are you implying a local network of 2 COMPLETELY different protocols to speak to each other, as in say Novell and windows?? If so, thats not exactly right, that would be a Gateway. I'm assuming you mean to connect 2 seperate networks? What a Router does is to find out which way to send each data packet based on its current topology of the networks it is connected to. Routers create or maintain a table of the available routes and use this information to determine the best route for a given data packet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom