Going into an infinte loop. Screen freezes but audio loops for 1 second

Status
Not open for further replies.

threebillion6

Beta member
Ok. First off, I built my computer about a year and a half ago. I was really excited about having my own computer. Then a few months after building it and getting it running, it froze unexpectedly. Every so often playing games on my computer, or even listening to music on windows media player, or FLC player (or whatever its called) or iTunes, really any music player, the computer freezes up. There's no BSOD, I have a good fan setup on my computer, everything stays well below any critical temperature, the screen just freezes, maybe every minute or so it'll skip forward a few frames, and the audio just loops for a second or second and a half. It'll do that for a while, sometimes it'll come back just fine, other times it'll continue on, just over and over the sound looping with the screen frozen. Watching movies and videos on media player run fine. They've only frozen a few times. This also happens with some flash games online. I thought it used to be a heat issue, then I thought my driver's weren't updated, then I thought it was my audio card that came with my motherboard. I have no idea what it is. I've searched countless hours googling, doing whatever I can searching for solutions. I've found a few and tried them, but to no avail. Let me know what I have to do to post my specs up here. I know that my motherboard is MSI K9N2 Diamond, and I have a Soundblasted X-fi Xtreme Audio card, that came with the motherboard, and I have a GeForce 9500 GT. PLEASE HELP! I'm tearing my hair out over this problem. :sick:

How much HDD space do you have left? A lot of time low disk space can lead to random freezes. Also could be that your HDD is going bad. First run a combo of Malwarebytes, Spybot and CCleaner. If there is spyware or malware, one of those programs should pick it up and it may be causing freezes. Others use different things, these are my preferences.

Other things, make sure all your drivers and updates are up to date...

If none of that works your HDD may be going bad. Right click on your C:/ drive and click properties, then tools, then click the check now button. It may take a while to do, so I'd run that before bed or something. If it is going bad, this should tell you. It may be time to get a new one. If it is bad, I'd go buy an external or a large jump drive and start saving stuff now.

Also what kind of RAM are you running?

First culprit, your hard drive. You could have a growing worm. Eating up your HDD space. Try the apps pro2a suggested.

Secondly, make sure your RAM is healthy. Run Memtest86+. Do a couple passes with this.

Thirdly, instant shut downs may be due to your PSU. But let's rule out the top two first.

Well firstly, I did a fresh install of windows about a month ago, thinking that would fix the problem. It didn't help. It even froze after the fresh install when I had over 400 gig's of space left. I have 3 gig's of ram. My drivers are up to date but I'll check them again. And I've run malwarebytes and cc cleaner and everything (my mom's friend works for intel so he helped with that) and they didn't find anything. I'll try running memtest again, although nothing turned up when I did run it before the fresh install of windows. Currently i have 361 gigs out of 500 free. I suppose I'll try taking out some RAM to see if that help's at all. The computer has never really shut off before. It just freezes until I hit the reset button. But most times I'll let it run for a few minutes to see if it's going to unfreeze. I'll run the HDD test tonight. And I'm starting to think that it might be my PSU. Would it freeze or just shut off if I didn't have enough power running to it?

Here's my spec's of what I could find.
(Using PC Wizard 2010)
MOBO: MSI K9N2 Diamond
Chipset: nVidia nForce 780a SLI SPP
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ @2600mhz
Physical Memory: 3072 MB
Video Card: GeForce 9500 GT
HDD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS-00A7B2 (500GB)
Disk Drive: LG CD-RW CED-8080B
Network Card: Nvidia MCP77 Ethernet
Network Card: Realtek Semiconductor PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Direct X: Version 9.0c

I suppose I can get a better power supply. I can't remember what voltage it is, or Watts. However powerful it is. If that's what the problem is. If you need more info like dxdiag or anything like that, let me know.

I doubt it's your power supply. Power supplies would not cause freezes like that. They only draw what power they need and I really don't see any power hogs in your setup. Install this and then post your memory and SPD screens. This will tell us more about your system, and possibly help us to answer you. For all we know your RAM could be incompatible with your motherboard, but I still suspect a bad HDD, especially if you did a clean install of the OS.

I'm curious to see how much actual memory you have. 32 bit operating systems always show 3GB of physical memory even if you have more. CPU-Z should tell us what you physically have in your PC.

4GB of memory just wouldn't show up fully in x32 OS's. That doesn't harm them in any way. Run Memtest86+ as I said above.

I did the HDD test thing. Nothing came up. My dad said he played FIFA 10 (which is one of the culprits) and it didn't freeze completely but it did stop for a second or so, then came right back. I'm installing CPUID right now. I'll do the memtest overnight and I'll post the CPUID results as soon as its finished. From what I remember i have two 1gig ram sticks and 2 512mb ram sticks in my computer at the moment. Which would come to 3. But yea, I know that 32bit does dumb down the RAM a bit.

Here's the MEMORY Tab

memoryn.jpg

And here's the SPD Tab

spdk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom