Help upgrading parents pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL

Vinsanity
Hi everybody let me start off my telling you what my parents are currently working with:

-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939
-Foxconn NForce4 mATX motherboard
-1gb ddr 400mhz Ram.
-500gb Sata HDD
-Windows Xp Pro

It's a pretty outdated system.. They mainly do the whole web surfing, email, and microsoft office thing, but also youtube videos and pictures. My mom also uses iTunes and burns cd's frequently. I just want to get them a faster system. My dad was interested in getting a SFF PC, so I was considering purchasing him a nice mini ITX case and pairing it with one of these.

Newegg.com - Intel BOXD510MO Intel Atom D510 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

I would also probably throw 2gb of ram in there and just use their current 500gb hdd to install windows 7 on it. But do you guys think the Intel Atom setup would even bring them any noticeable performance over their current system? I really want to go with ITX, but if it wont be any quicker then there's no point.

I think in this case a Sempron 140 would work and just unlock it since its not really being used for much, but i dont think they make an itx board for that.

Since you will be reusing the drive this would be the best possible setup for the cheapest amount of money while retaining the mini-itx form factor.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3530

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B Black SECC / Plastic Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case SFX 300W 80Plus Power Supply

Case comes with a PSU so your set there, as well as the board has built in video and support for features like USB3 and SATA3 for future upgrades to possibly a quad and stuff.

All for a grand total of 390.

I dont trust Zotac boards personally, but then again i didnt even know they made AM3 itx boards either. Thats why i built that i3 rig. If you think about it though, the i3 would last a long long time for normal everyday use. Either or, i think its a good decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom