'New' Hard drive - Computer Stuck at "Detecting IDE Drives"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertM24

Solid State Member
First things first, I hope this is the right section, I have looked all over various forums and found many threads similar to this, none have helped me solve my problem.

Basically I took two old beater comps and tried to build something kind of "decent" with parts for the 2 of them just for fun.

I have 2 IDE HDDs (one is 17GB, lol, and the other is a 40GB WD HDD).
The first is running XP and the Latter is running Ubuntu.

Long story short, I decided I wanted to do away with the 17GB (it's very noisy) so I got myself a used 200GB WD HDD (IDE) a few weeks ago, and was going to run XP on that.

Whenever it is connected (no matter what I do with the jumper cables) my comp gets stuck at the screen where it says "detecting IDE drives", however when this HDD is not connect everything works as usual.

Just today, I updated the BIOS to the most current version and still no luck. Any ideas on what to do, the guy I got it from said it was low level formatted, and he said he checked for bad sectors and everything was fine. Let's just assume this is true, what would the pros here try first?

That is a double edged question. As most come with at least 1 IDE connection for some devices. But it is mainly dependent on the mother board if there is an IDE connection or not. You will have to do some research to find out.

Just a thought, what is the power supply trying to run the components of the PC? Could be that it isnt powerful enough maybe? could be that the drive was damaged during the low level format as well.

That is a double edged question. As most come with at least 1 IDE connection for some devices. But it is mainly dependent on the mother board if there is an IDE connection or not. You will have to do some research to find out.

Just a thought, what is the power supply trying to run the components of the PC? Could be that it isnt powerful enough maybe? could be that the drive was damaged during the low level format as well.

thanks for the info, I might be able to test it on a new computer some time next month. I'd still like to try to think up some other reasons rather than waiting though.... how do I find information on the power supply? Maybe that is it.

Look at the side of the PSU in your case. Tell us the Model and Wattage.

If there is no sticker, it's probably a piece of c***.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom