What could my problem be? (freezes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. So I'm really starting to think there could be compatibility issues with your RAM and motherboard. I looked up the memory and on Newegg it says it is supported at the 1600 speed, but that is overclocked.

That DQS message means that windows had to lower your RAM speed, but obviously that did not correct the problem because it is still not working. (thanks windows:p)

I looked on Biostars website and it states that the memory you have is supported only at 2GB not 4GB, but that may not be accurate. Here is the link of supported memory for your motherboard. BIOSTAR :: TA890GXB HD :: Memory Support You should still be able to use 4GB with no problem though.
You may need to try a lower speed RAM with a lower voltage. I'm still thinking it could be a voltage issue from what I read about in past posts. You may also want to look over that list of supported RAM and start from there. I'm not absolutely sure this will solve your problem though.

Maybe someone else on here has a better solution then me. This is just what I read about in the past on this particular issue.

Okay. So I'm really starting to think there could be compatibility issues with your RAM and motherboard. I looked up the memory and on Newegg it says it is supported at the 1600 speed, but that is overclocked.

That DQS message means that windows had to lower your RAM speed, but obviously that did not correct the problem because it is still not working. (thanks windows:p)

I looked on Biostars website and it states that the memory you have is supported only at 2GB not 4GB, but that may not be accurate. Here is the link of supported memory for your motherboard. BIOSTAR :: TA890GXB HD :: Memory Support You should still be able to use 4GB with no problem though.
You may need to try a lower speed RAM with a lower voltage. I'm still thinking it could be a voltage issue from what I read about in past posts. You may also want to look over that list of supported RAM and start from there. I'm not absolutely sure this will solve your problem though.

Maybe someone else on here has a better solution then me. This is just what I read about in the past on this particular issue.

My RAM isn't listed there (it's OCZ3SOE1600LV4GK) so that's probably not it.

Thing is, this problem persisted even when using 1 stick (2gb). However, yesterday, I didn't crash at all but I did get 1 BSOD on startup (1 stick in 4th port.) I wonder if the optimal defaults helped? I don't see any difference in the timings or the memory voltage though. It's ironic that I'm getting such high voltage when the product itself says low voltage. Guess we'll see.

I'm really starting to think it's the RAM though and that I just got unlucky this time around. Reviews for my ram

EDIT: Scratch the voltage part, CPUID shows ram at 1.50v while SpeedFan was showing it at 3.95v... maybe I was looking at the wrong thing? (vcore2)

Well you could always try a different set of memory and see what happens, hopefully it is not a problem with the motherboard itself (RAM slots). Just go through the process of elimination and you will figure it out. Good luck and let us know if you have any other problems.

Eric:grin:

Hi again,

rather than making a new thread I think readers would be more informed if I just bumped this one.

After the long process of elimination it turns out it was the motherboard. I sent it back for an RMA and they fixed it by updating the BIOS but a new problem has sprung.

This hasn't happened before even with the crashes so I can only assume it's a new problem with the motherboard.

Whenever I start it up, it'll get to loading Windows for maybe a few seconds then I'll get a BSOD (sometimes) followed by an endless loop of the set up screen but before that it asks if I would like to repair windows or start windows normally. It doesn't matter which option I choose because either will start the loop again.

The weird thing is if I force shut down and boot it up again it'll start up just fine. But that can't be good for the PC so I'd like to get this fixed. Any input would be appreciated, thanks. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom