10000rpm hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you dont wanna screw around with raid(which by the way shows no significant sign of performance.If anything it hinders your computer because of 2 times the amount of possibility of failure. a few mags have done reviews and benchmarks speak for themselves.)but if you wanna a HUGE drive and save lots of money. get a 300gb maxtor diamondmax10 7.2krpm 16mb buffer. only like .3 ms slower than a raptor. im doing a raptor with windows and main programs and a diamondmax10 with movies/music/documents on.

just my .02$

-Corey

The fact is, Seagate isn't better than WD isn't better than Maxtor. They all make quality drives, and everyone has had one of them fail on them so they decide that brand is no good. They are all equal in quality. Period.

Also the best site on the Internet for buying computers is Newegg. There is no better site. They almost always have the lowest prices I've ever seen, and all their products come in two days when you get three day shipping.

Now as far as the RAID 0 vs. 10k RPM goes, yes RAID 0 is fast. But it doesn't even come close to the 10k RPM drive. Remeber, having two 7.2k RPM drives in RAID0 does NOT mean you will write data at 14.4k RPM.

On that note, I would go with the 10k RPM drive. There are some things you can skimp out on in a computer: floppy drive, cables, etc. But you do not want to skimp out on your hard drive. If it were me, I would spend a little extra money for the nicer quality drive.

The only downside is that you have to have a SATA connector on your motherboard. If you only have IDE connectors, then I would consider going with the RAID 0. Even though it might have a chance of failing, the chances are incredibly low. Plus, you should be backing up your important data somewhere else anyway.

Also not that I'm saying someone doesn't know anything, but I would be weary accepting advice from anyone who hasn't upgraded their computer in the last 4-5 years (apokalipse)

Raid 0 speed increase is very minimal for normal home PC use. Dont bother, you can also set up as two seperate drives in non raid config to have redundancy, you can also speed up the system by putting the page file on the seperate HDD, but Raid will not have the speed increase that you are probably hoping for, especially in gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom