High Performance PC Systems Classification

GhOsT1321

Daemon Poster
What exactly classifies a PC system as "high performance"?
I see builds posted in "Building, Buying, Upgrading for General PCs" in which the total price occasionally exceeds $1000 US currency. Surely this would be "high performance" as opposed to some of the builds for $700 US currency posted in the "Building, Buying, or Upgrading High Performance PC Systems"

Shouldn't there be some sort of standard for a PC system to be considered "high performance"? That way, when you go to either of the above mentioned forums, you will be able to find what you need faster and the information will be more relevant to your inquiry.
This standard may be posted somewhere, but I am unable to find it.

A system costing $1000 USD doesnt necessarily classify it as High Performance. As you dont know where that money is split up to. You could have yourself a $500 custom built case and only a $500 machine in there. As where the $700 build can be mainly toward the best mobo, CPU and RAM that they can get while sacraficing such things as custom cases, video cards and other accessories.

So no there is no way to write a standard. As i clearly showed how easily it is to debunk the myth that just cause it costs more means it is a better machine. Apple does this daily with their sales. So just cause a system costs so much money doesnt classify it as High Performance over a standard build.

Add into that the person who is building it might not be using it for "High Performance". They may just be building it to have it be future proof. So that they dont have to upgrade within the next year or 2. They may just be using it for normal everyday things which is why it could be considered a high perfomance machine, but it is in the general PC build area.

So there is no way to conform to any sort of standard as there are too many variables that come into play. Trying to think of them all, write them out and enforce them is insane. People may consider something high performance when others wont. Others will consider something general while others think it is high performance. There is no way to account for personal opinions. It is for this reason why we have no standards set. Cause there is no way to account for everything. I have already shown several examples of how something can be mistaken for 1 or the other easily by the poster and by someone else.

Is the two different forums made to not get overly crowded with one? I'm sure more of the knowledgeable people would know what the difference is.

IMO, I don't think a newbie to the IT world is going to build a big beast.

It isnt this way so that the forums get overly crowded. It doesnt matter the expertise. A newbie can build a monster machine just like a PC expert can build an everyday machine. Sometimes a "newbie" wants to build a monster rig and we are going to assist them in anyway possible. Just like if an expert wants to build an general PC we are going to help them.

The building forums are setup this way for many reasons. Yeah it can happen that a topic should be in the General PC Area and it is placed in the High Performance area. It happens. Just as it happens that a High Performance build is placed in the General Area. We have them split cause it comes down to the individual that is posting such things. They may not consider it one or the other and place it where they think it fits best. That is fine. We are not going to slam them cause they placed a General PC in the High Performance area and vice versa.

If we had these areas combined or had standards put in place it would cause much more confusion. As i pointed out in these posts. There are too many things that go into what is considered a General versus High Performance machine that goes beyond what we might consider.

Thanks for the responses. Just thought I would put the question out there, the reason for the question was I strive for simplicity and efficiency. Seeing the points you pointed out Mak, I now see why there are no standards or guidelines for these particular forums (aside from general forum rules), thank you.

Glad to be of service. I appreciate you bringing this up as it isnt something that is commonly known.

IMO, I don't think a newbie to the IT world is going to build a big beast.

How does that figure?

Many people come here looking to get their first built rig and are willing to drop 2k on it. Just because someone doesn't know about computers doesn't mean they aren't after a beast of a rig.

I went from a dell latitude to a q6600 overclocked with a 8800gt (3rd best at the time) That was a beast and I put out 1500 on it... After being explained i didn't need sli'd 8800s and the q6600 was a better option to go with than a dual core. I

I didn't know anything about thAt junk and was a definate noob to IT.

Anyway, mak said it best.

I find the 2 forums, sorta help price out what they are thinking they need to do certain things, or play certain games.

Back
Top Bottom