Soap film on Canon 5000f

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman

Beta member
I just bought the Canon 5000f scanner a couple of days ago. The glass on it is perfectly clean, but when the light is on inside of it you can see a film of soap on the bottom side of the glass. You can tell because it is absent in some parts of it. There was also a heavy film of soap on the top of the glass but I cleaned it off. Like I said, the glass looks perfectly clean, it is only when the scanning light is on when I can see it. I am new to scanning so I don't know what I should do about it. Will this film have any effect on the images I scan? I wouldn't be able to tell because I wouldn't have any other scanned images to compare it to. I bought it off the internet so I can't really take it back. If I exhanged it Canon would give me a refurbished one, which is not what I want. Is it worth it to take it to a repair shop to have it clean or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks,

It looks like the company that made the glass didn't get it clean correctly. I used to cut glass for a livining and it is the same pattern/type of soap smuge that would show up on a piece of glass every once in awhile. It's really hard to tell because I am new at this...but I am scanning CD covers and when I scan a cd cover and view it at it's original size the detail could be better. Do you think that could be from the soap film?

Thanks,

My 2 cents is this.....first check if anyone on else in the place that you are using the equipment spilt anything on it then wiped it off (if there is anyone else who could have). If the was the case then when the wipe the top some amount of soap would have seaped through the sides and gone underneath.

If not ......... TAKE BACK THE EQUIPMENT as soon as possible.

and No....Canon would have to give you a new in the event that the fault was not caused by you. Hence the warranty on the equipment.

The film you are encountering under the glass is an anti glare coating that belongs on the glas that is why you only see it when the lamp is on however it can be safely removed without dergradation to the scanned images just take the unit to an authorized service facility and tell them to clean the glass the scanner is less than a year old so they will perform the task under warranty, you can find the closest asf by visiting http://canontechsupport.com then click on service options after selecting your product group and product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom