System Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I wasn't sure which forum section to put this, so I thought I'd try here.

I've been experiencing some system freezes. I don't have to be doing anything "intensive" (running an app that demands a lot of system resources, like RAM, processor, or graphics). But, my system will freeze. There's no response when I move my mouse, and no response from the keyboard, either. No BSOD.

If I go into the Event Viewer/ Windows Logs/ Applications, no errors jump out there in the list.

Let me mention some things that occured to me.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate. My graphics card is an nVidia 9800 GX2. I also have an ATI TV Wonder card (it's an add-in card that has one of those mini PCI-e slots).

I've had them for a long time.....but do you think there could be some kind of "conflict" all of the sudden? Are these two "video-related" items butting heads with each other?

And also.....

When my system would freeze up, I was forced to do a hard re-boot. Upon rebooting, I went into Safe Mode. While in there, I was in the Action Center, and there was a Warning Message.

In my Windows System32 folder, it said it had discovered: Alureon.EC

I chose the action of Removing it, and then it said it needed to do a re-boot for the changes to take effect. I re-booted.....and here I am now at the forum.

For now I've disabled the ATI TV capture card in my Device Manager just in case that was the culprit.

Could you throw some ideas out about possible causes of system freezes? I keep my video drivers up-to-date and anti-virus, too; and there have been no major changes to my system as of late.

Specs:
Win 7 Ultimate
Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R w/ latest BIOS
Intel Q9450 Processor
4GB Corsair RAM
BFG 9800 GX2 graphics card
Corsair 750 watt PSU

Thanks for any ideas, help & info.
Pez

Hey MindoverMaster; thanks for the response.

Well, I do live near Phoenix, Arizona, and even though it's October, the temperatures are still in the 90's.

However......I do have a CoolerMaster HAF case, so there's lots of good airflow.

I took a screenshot with HW Monitor, and yes, the one thing that does jump out is one of the temps of my GX2 graphics card (it's got those two GPU's inside). It says 89C for one of the cores/ GPU's. I think the Max for the GX2 is 105 or 110C.

But if the GPU heats up, then the GPU fan kicks up notches, too. I can monitor & adjust that using EVGA's Precision tool.

I've always thought it odd that my two GPU temps have been ten or so degrees apart. And, this card is actually a replacement that I RMA'd years ago with the BFG company.

Anyway, check out all of my temps in the screenshot and tell me what you think. Thanks!!
Pez

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/HW-Mon-10-10-10.jpg

Have you dusted out your heatsinks and fans lately? A new application of thermal paste won't hurt either.

Those temps do look suspicious. See if opening the side panel will help it. Let it set like that for an hour or so. Then check the temps again.

When you say "dusted out your heatsinks and fans"..............do you mean the ones inside the GX2 card? Yes, occasionally I turn my system off and then get a compressed air can and blow through the GX2 case's vents.

But do you mean to take off the plastic case of the GX2 itself? Dismantle it? To also put an application of thermal paste on the GPU's processors? Nope......I'm a little leery of that. I do put my own custom systems together, but have never actually taken a GX2 card apart.

Say........

My vid card, like I mentioned, is a BFG nVidia 9800 GX2. I was doing a little searching on the web, and I wasn't aware........BFG is kind of defunct.

I don't think they actually filed for a Chapter 11, but if you go to their web site of UNDER CONSTRUCTION, it says it's "under construction". Some further checking revealed they have a site now called BFG Systems.

Like some other companies, BFG offered a "Lifetime Warranty" on their vid cards. My card's already been RMA'd once, but I doubt that would happen again, given that the company is undergoing some kind of restructuring. Trying to get this card RMA'd again would probably be like getting blood from a stone :big_grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom