3 Questions - fan for Socket 370/Thermal Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
I have figured out the reason for my PC being so loud is the CPU fan. It is a Cooler Master brand (I am not sure of the model) fan. My CPU is a Celeron 1.4 Ghz on Socket 370 FC-PGA2. I need a new fan and heatsink that will be quiet and cool my CPU very good (I stretch it to the limit). I would like to keep costs under $25 including shipping if that is possible.

My other question is kinda related to the above. I need to put thermal paste on my CPU because I don't think there is any on there now. I need to know how to apply it to my CPU. I know there are many ways to do it and a diagram would be greatly appreciated.

Also would thermal paste normally come with a fan/heatsink? If it doesn't I think my cousin has some paste that came with his Cooler Master fan and he has some Artic Silver 5 too. Which would be best for me? (I am not sure if he want me to use his Artic Silver 5.)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Slaymate. I will probably buy that fan and paste. Will the thermal pad be easy to remove or do I need to use something to get it off? How should I apply the paste? I have heard everything from a dot in the middle to 1 line to many dots in a pattern. I am guessing it makes a difference that it is 1 core (as opposed to 4 or 6). A diagram would be greatly appreciated.

With the age of your socket, you most likely have an exposed DIE/Core, and not an IHS over it, follow the manufactures instructions for applying to an exposed die, which is usually putting a small bit on, the size of a rice grain, then spreading it evenly over the core.

C0rr0sive may be right so diregard what i put unless it has a heat spreader.

in most cases applying thermal paste is the same for all kinds. Make sure to clean both surfaces very well with either a special cleaner or isopropryl alcohol.

Now there are 2 good ways to apply the paste i've seen both i've done both and they're about equal in performance.

1. Apply a rice grain size amount of paste on the cpu and put the heatsink on top. This will spread it evenly by the natural pressure of the heatsink and clips.

2. Same story just spread the paste using your finger inside of a plastic bag to prevent skin contact. Spread evenly and in a thin almost invisible lair.

1. proves easier because you have less chances of air pockets but both work well.

Well :umm: it has a piece of metal attached to the top of the CPU. When I got my PC it had a Pentium 3 in it but someone gave me a Celeron and I had to get a new fan to fit it because it was a lot thicker and the old fan/heatsink wouldn't fit over it. When looking at the picture of the fan Slaymate listed it looks like my older heatsinks did with the edge of it coming up because of the edge of the socket (right side in the picture on newegg).

I may just buy the thermal paste Slaymate suggested and live with a loud PC for a little while longer. I am probably going to build a new PC some time next year so I dont want to spend too much on just tweaking this old PC. I may also try to rig up an old fan I have to the heatsink I have now.

But...there is still the issue of applying the paste to the CPU. Is isopropryl alcohol also called rubbing alcohol? Based on the info I gave above should I just do the rice grain in the middle or try to spread it out. Again, it has a piece of metal attached to the top of the CPU.

Just follow the manufactures suggestions for applying to your CPU, if it does infact have a "metal plate" on the CPU it self, then, you have an early IHS, and just need to put a small piece of paste on in the center, and slap the new heatsink on.

If you are just worried about it being loud, it's because the older heatsinks had smaller fans, and smaller fans are typically louder.

You may want to stick with the heat sink you got like you said cuz the new one may be just as loud and apply the thermal paste it like corrosive and I have suggested.

I got the paste today and applied it. Unforunately my mobo/CPU doesn't have temp sensors because it is so old, but I am sure it will help. The only thing I was concerned about was that there was a small hole in the heatsink on the top of the CPU but I don't think it leads into the chip part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom