HDD issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggies

Beta member
Im new the whole building a computer thing.

AMD Phenom x4 965 BE
8g 1333 Patriot Ram
Biostart TA890FXE Mobo
2x ATI 5770's
WD SATA III 6g HDD

WEI scores everything at 7.5+ except my HDD which only scored a 5.4. Im pretty sure i set something up wrong or possibly failed to completly do it at all. Ive been reading about raid setups but there must be another way to achieve good HDD read/write speeds w/o adding a second drive. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this and educate me a little bit.

If they are old school platter drives and not SSD drives, you aren't gonna see much higher of a score, also, the windows benchmark is almost useless.

so i should get SSD drive and say to **** with this HDD? i mean its brandnew, 1tb SATA III (which ive heard is a joke anyways)

You won't see a benefit with a SATAIII HDD, platter based drives can't even use all of the SATAII bandwidth, you may be able to get increase performance by going RAID0 with the 1TB drive, but, you won't see much increase in performance, mostly due to the fact they are platter based, and very, very large drives. The only way to get "increased" performance from a platter is to get a higher RPM one, and that tends to become expensive, and they get hot.

k well i havnt read to much about SSD but i can load windows and all this on there like a nomral HDD?

Yes, there is a sticky here in the forum somewhere, most likely at the bottom where the tutorials are that can tell you how to get the most out of an SSD if you happen to go that route, keep the WD for pure storage needs, but let what you want to load fast and what not sit on the SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom