BIOS update on Asus, need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have to flash while you're in DOS
in Windows, you are constantly using the BIOS, so you can't flash it
in DOS, it only accesses the BIOS when you give it a command, and you should only need one command to update it

I don't understand? I hate to sound like an idiot. I downloaded and ran an ASUS program, it connected me to the internet, examined my system (Correctly, I checked the MOBO itself and numbers at boot) it recomended I update the BIOS from the internet, downloaded the file, AGAIN verified I had the correct file and told me to click Flash. I clicked flash, said "starting" then "erasing old BIOS" then error. There has to be a way to reflash this thing. Should I save the backup old BIOS to disk? Is there a flash program I can run from DOS, or will I reboot and the system will do nothing? Did it just clear the CMOS possibly? I just don't want to reboot the thing until I know what to do. I have three PC's of my own with internet access, I'm just afraid after reboot I won't get anything....

Are you saying that you think the PC is safe? Listen, pretend I'm a complete idiot. I thought this would be cut and dry, I updated two ABIT BIOS last week without a hitch. Used a WIN XP program and it took 5 minutes on each system.

What exactly do I need to do to ensure I can get my friends PC running? The link you sent, I went to that before I started anything but the top link for Live Update is dead.

I wish I didn't mess with this thing, his BIOS was just ancient.

I'm not turning his system off. I did copy the new and old BIOS files onto a disk. Hey, it says you a 16 year old whiz kid so help my old geezer butt get my friend up and running again, PLEASE! If you can walk me through it I would appreciate it, even point me towards the correct BIOS file so I know I have the right one. I posted his system info in post 1.

I'm pretty freaked out I can't even run the ASUS program and it tells me it does not detect an ASUS motherboard. I feel like I fried it, $25 for a new BIOS ROM and waiting for it stinks! I was just trying to help a friend out and update all his stuff. Sigh

hmmmm..... I find that strange that people have updated their BIOS's in Windows, all of the BIOS updates I've seen and done, on motherboards and video cards have been in DOS
how I've always flashed the BIOS's
- put the flash utility on a bootable floppy disk (often there are setup files that will do that for you)
- restart with the floppy in and wait for it to load, making sure it does boot from the floppy
- type in the command to flash, usually "flashrom [parameters] [file name of BIOS you want to install]"
- restart

maybe it is possible to update it in Windows, it might be that you're not using the correct utility for that particular type of motherboard (asus made more than one flash utility)

I think I fried this thing, I'm going to get some sleep and check back in the morning. Hopefully someone has some ideas for me that can save the system. I just have a bad feeling after a reboot it's going to be dead.

A final note. My cat stepped on my power strip and shut off the PC I planned to keep on until I figured out what was up :/

Upon rebooting the system, I DID get a disk boot failure, I went into SETUP and changed NOTHING and quit without saving and the PC booted fine. The BIOS seems to have updated, but I get the failure upon bootup and "two beeps". Does this mean I need to reload the defualt setups or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom