How would I check HDD through BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
Is it possible to check the hard drive through the BIOS? I am looking for errors or something that can tell if my drive is good or not. There is no operating system on the computer, and for some reason using multiple disks, installing Ubuntu UE fails as well as Kubuntu.

Any ideas on a program I boot from CD or use through the BIOS would be great help.

After a few different tries of installing I can also no longer get my disks to boot. I get a black screen with the "_" flashing and that is it.

This laptop also had issues before I reformatted with random shut downs. I don't really know whats going on so I though HDD would be the first and easiest thing to check before I go digging into the screen or CD drive.

Sounds like you need a new CD/DVD drive. You can always use Hiren's CD. It has a lot of goodies, and some you can test your HDD.

I keep getting this error when installing Ubuntu Ultimate 9.1.. "Creation of the swap has failed".. So I reformatted and partitioned with GPARTED and I got the same error.

Is this hardware?

EDIT: I think I am going to call this laptop toast as I can not get it to boot at all anymore.

if u have already Hirens boot , then check your hard drive with it... there is IBM-Hitachi DFT, WD Diag, Maxtor PowerMax .... also format your hard drive and delete ALL your partitions (do not crate any partitions before installing Ubuntu) with Hirens boot.... check this cd carefully it has good tools....:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom