Please critique my $5k build plans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the stock cooler that comes with the 980X processor is the BEST stock heat sink.

i think you should use the stock heatsink, that should be plenty of head room to familiarize your self with the bios and the overclocking rutein. that 980X heatsink should be good for at least 3.8ghz.

doesnt make sense to me to waste $100.

That is a good heatsink but it's large and it can cause obstruction issues with memory modules that have "Tall" heat sinks and some Northbride heat sinks. What motherboard are you looking at now? And what memory modules?

I'm looking at the G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000. I'm still pretty flexible on the motherboard... I'm just looking for something that is fast, easy to overclock, and up to date.

If you'll look at post #25 in this thread you'll see the pictures where I had to trim a few of the fins on the Noctua NH-D14 so that it wouldn't touch my Corsair Dominators.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/noctua-nh-d14-231634/index3.html

Those G.Skill Tridents are just as tall so there not a good choice for that heatsink.

I would go with these for a 12GB (3x4GB) kit.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL

If you want the "Baddest" memory on the block then you should drop down to 6GB and buy this set of memory (this is what I have in my PC) but you'll want to use a different heatsink. :thumbsup:
https://shop.corsair.com/store/item_view.aspx?id=766411

There out of stock but they usually restock fairly quickly.

This is a good heat sink
Newegg.com - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

and it will need a fan. This one is expensive but it's adjustable for low and quiet or High and a lot of air.
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE FM123 120mm Case Fan

and you'll want to use "Good" thermal paste.
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

Its a give or take. I know many guys who have 1600 kits in their rigs. If you dont get the Noctua heatsink just stick with the 2000 to make sure you have that headroom. Nothing worse than running into a wall because RAM wont OC past a certain amount.

This may be a newbie question, but if I'm overclocking, assuming all else is equal (it may not be in this case), wouldn't I want DDR3 2000 vs 1600? My understanding would be that you can't push the 1600 as far (which would be why the other is rated at 2000).

The memory controller is built into the cpu so when you run your memory at 2000MHz you've added a strain to the system, or more of a strain than 1600MHz (2000MHz will require more volts than 1600MHz, which means more heat). With a small OC, or none at all, running your memory at 2000MHz won't be a problem. But when you start looking for a Medium-High to High OC your memory will hold you back if your trying to run it at 2000MHz.

You'll get better performance at 4GHz/1600MHz than you will at 3.8GHz/2000MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom