New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I had this P5E since Feburary of '08. I just upgraded other parts on the way. HDD, GFX, CPU, RAM, PSU, Case :)lol:)

I mean, i5 isn't like a sick pig. I do see your reasoning, though. What variety of the i7 would I get? I think under 300 would be alright. 860, 870, 930, 950?

Edit: Just looked at the board and ram. that looks killer. :thumbsup:

Edit2: why does the thread above me have the exact same title? :umm:

15 really, but I get your drift.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

I overclock, but not like a banging banshee.. So yes, I suppose the 950 would suit me.

So that would put me at $1150 + Shipping. Not bad at all. I'll see where I can cut corners in price. Of course, as I'll order this a little later, I could save a bit or get better hardware for the same price.

At $1000 I would stick with the i5 750 and buy better quality parts to go with it. If you try to squeeze a i7 in at $1000 you wind up with a i7 built with cheap parts. The AMD 6 core sounds tempting but you don't need six cores and when you do need six cores you'll want faster ones. I would max out a i5 750 system and try to wear it out :thumbsup:

I have one TRUE left but you'll need to order a fan and a LGA 1156 retention bracket.

^At $1000 normally you'd be right, but he's not doing a full build. No os, monitor, kb, mouse.

That being said...
@Mom: it's really your choice. If you don't want to spend so much, go with the i5 750. Just keep in mind there's a pretty decent gap performance-wise between the 750 and 930 or 950. I guess there's also a pretty decent gap price-wise too :p

Is there much of a difference between the 750 and 760 besides .2Ghz and $14? I'm sure I can do a slight OC to raise that 750.

I read some reviews that said you can get an AMD and get more bang per buck. Is that true? I'm not biased on either.

Edit: OK, I found something. Newegg email on deals

I can get this deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo..._-EMC-100710-Index-_-Combo-_-Combo526549-LC4A
CPU + Motherboard

And two sets of these: (save $10 on promo code)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-100710-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20231277-L0A

That would put me at about the same price. 8GB can help me, as I often like to use VirtualBox. With 4GBs, I can't really allot that much RAM.

I can pay for the RAM right now. Its promo code won't last forever. I'm sure other CPU/Mobo deals will come up. Or that will still be there when I buy. ;)

Yeah that ram looks ok, not great timings but ok. With $10 off it's worth it.

I'd say don't bother with the 760, the difference between the two will be so negligible after an OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom