New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I want to build myself a new computer. I am very much experienced in bulding 'em. Built my last 8 computers by hand. Ranging form Intel 775 to AMD Semperon age.

What I am looking for is a mid-range computer. I play SC2, about the only thing I have worth playing. I also do work on Photoshop every once in awhile.

I plan to buy the within a few months, after I gather up enough cash. So we have time to juggle the ball.

CPU - I think an i5 would suit me. Would an i3 work just fine to save money? Speed needed?
H/S – I currently use an Xigmatek, have used Skythe and many more in the past.
Motherboard – I love ASUS, any other suggestions? Something like my current ASUS P5E. I would like Full ATX.
RAM – I used in the past OCZ, G-Skill, and Corsair. I think 4GB will be enough for me, as I have now.
GPU – I have little idea on this. Something mid-range. I don't need a big beast.
PSU – What Wattage? I have a 550W SeaSonic modular in my computer. Something similar that's modular.
HDD – I have a OCZ 30GB SSD. Also storage HDDs. I need bigger space than that 30GB SSD, but would like to keep with the SSD as boot. I am unsure what size to get. I can just chose a SATA HDD for storage. WD or Seagate. :)
Optical – This is pretty standard, just get a good brand. No BlueRay needed. Just standard DVD Burner.
Case: I am thinking to get this:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 BLUE RC-922M-KWN2-GP Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Side window

No keyboard, mouse, monitor needed.

There any reason I should go AMD? Except when I was cheap, I always stuck with Intel. :whistle:

My budget is around $1,000

*Please ask any other information you need. I may have forgotten something :p*

Windows 7 x64 (I thought that was obvious, due to my sig)

Well, being that my CPU, H/S and RAM can't be carried over, no. I want all new. I plan to use this current computer for another use.

oh i should've been more specific, i meant if you're including an OS in the budget.

cpu - with your budget, an i5 quad would be a good choice but there's also the 1055t to consider for the same price.

h/s - i'm assuming you're gonna wanna OC it, but it depends on how much you'll want to put towards a cooler. for say, around $30 right now, you could get a pretty decent arctic cooling (freezer pro) or cooler master (hyper). there's probably others but those are 2 that come to mind right now. ofcourse better coolers becomes available in higher price ranges.

motherboard - for 1156 this looks pretty good for the price
Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
or this if you consider amd
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

ram - this is a nice set
Newegg.com - G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
1600mhz, tight timings, low volts.

gpu - a 5750 or 5770 would seem like a good choice, however you can get a gtx 460 for not too much more after rebate.

psu - 550w would probably be good, from a good brand ofcourse. higher if you think you might want dual gfx powah.

hdd - i guess that's up to you, how much more space do you want for a boot drive? as for a separate drive, last i checked you could get a 500gb wd black for $59, just another option to consider.

optical is pretty straight forward and case is personal choice.

ofcourse since this build is still some time away, as always prices can and will change, new parts could come out like the 6 series or possibly a fermi refresh.

I'll consider both your options

@Muffin - actually, I don't overclock THAT much. I mean, my C2Q 6600 was 2.4Ghz, OCed to 2.8Ghz. I had it up to 3.1Ghz at a time, but that was a unsafe OC as I found out this summer. I just like big heatsinks :D Of course, all the rest looks pleasing. As for price, I always look for the best deal. I got the Quad at a good price. Wish I can remember how much that was. :umm:

@Mike - That board looks a bit, umm... cheap? That case looks a little weird to me. I'll stick with my case. And you will not get any money. :omg:

To both - I can just order a serial off Microsoft. I of course will need one. No need to buy the disc again.

Pfft, "If you're going to go, go big" and "AMD" don't work in the same sentence :grin:

I'd say for that budget, if you're not planning on getting a monitor/os/kb/mouse/high-end-gpu/, you could fit an i7 in there.

If we allocate 100 for the case, 100 for the hdd and optical drive (which'll easy get you a 1TB drive and dvd/cd dl burner), 70 for the PSU, 120 will get you a 5670, then we've still got $580 for your mobo/ram/cpu/cooler.

Take $285 for the i7 930, $295 left.
mobo/ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.523540
Grab yourself a $30 cooler (which should let you hit 4.0Ghz 24/7) and you're done.

That's near $1,000 on the dot, and you're kitted out with an awesome rig that's pretty **** future proof. Maybe upgrade the 5670 at some point in the future, but other than that you're good.

In fact, depending on the final cost of hte PSU and hdd/optical drive, and which of the above items you can find in combo deals, you might have enough to get a 5870 or GTX 460 (which costs I think $170).

Trotter, you tease.

SOUL, thanks a ton. Would i7 be an overkill? I think just an i5 would suit me just fine. I don't need the extra roar of the devil. :devil:

I look at it this way. In the scheme of things, saving $200 by going i5 isn't really gonna help you much. This rig will last you 3 years easy. What's $200 over 3 years? If you're gonna build something, may as well make it worthwhile and durable, don't buy cheaper stop-gap parts that you'll need to replace in a year or so. You'll just end up wishing you hadn't and buying more and saving less.
I made that mistake when I got my 8600GT. Didn't even last 6 months before I had to up to an 8800GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom