cpu upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axxion V

Baseband Member
i've read reviews but im hoping to get a little input before i buy.

deciding between;

phenom ii x3 740 3.0ghz - Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor HDZ740WFK3DGI - Processors - Desktops
and
athlon ii x4 640 3.0ghz - Amazon.com: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0 GHz 4x512 KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail ADX640WFGMBOX: Electronics

dont know if i should sacrafice a core for L3 cache basicaly.

general usage and some gaming. if any other recommenations in same price range let me know.

If you use a motherboard that has ACC or "core unlocking" you may be able to unlock the fourth core on the x3. There is no guaranty, both most unlock just fine. If it doesn't you will still have a Black Edition x3 with the full 6MB L3 cache.

thanks trotter. i do not think i'll be unlocking. my board is a foxconn m61pmv and it has a limited bios. so lets just say im useing them stock, you would still go for the x3? i cant find anything online comparing the two cpu's.

Running stock and no unlocking? Go with the Athlon II x4 then. The cache would be nice, but the fourth core will serve you better. Heck, we did fine without L3 for years and years. ;)

ok today i put in my new x4 640. all is well except, my ram is running at 400mhz. specs as follows.

athlon ii x4 640
2x2 4gb ocz platinum ddr2 1066
foxconn m61pmv am2+
kingwin 610w
sapphire hd 4870

theres only a few options in bios. auto and maxmemclock. i set it to maxmemclock 1066 but its still at 800. could only up voltage by .05, i've tried that and nothing. any ideas?

DO you have AMD Cool N Quiet turned on? Since you upgraded you may have reset some features.

In your bios turn Cool N Quiet off and you're clocks should go back up.

cool n' quiet is turned off. my ram must have a voltage of 2.1v to run at 1066. i do not know what the voltage is exactly but, i am only able to raise it .05 above default value. therefor i do not think i am able to achieve the 2.1v required to run at 1066.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom