Looking to upgrade my current system

Status
Not open for further replies.
For bout 600 you can get a 1366 i7 930, a asrock x58 board and gskill 6 gigs ram..

But the i5 will be a huge increse over a c2q and will allow an upgrade to an i7 1156 chip later

Alright so I think that i might go with this intel i5. But should I get the i5 750 or i5 760? Also what motherboard? I'm looking for something that will support an i7 later, the capability to use crossfire, as well as some overclock friendly options. I want the best possible for as cheap as possible.

EDIT: Or should I get a i7 - 860 which for 70 more dollars has hyper-threading. I think it might be better to spend 70 extra now then 270 later! But Also what is the major difference between the i7-8xx and the i7 - 9xx

So right now i'm at school bored, and i've been doing some shopping.
How does this sound for my upgrade?

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL $72

ASUS P7P55D-E LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $139

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7860 $279

Total comes to $492

If any part sucks let me know. I want it to be cheap but i don't want it to be crap either!!

You would be seriously better off with an i5 750/760 and 2000mhz RAM. The 1156 platform really needs fast RAM to shine, which is why companies like Corsair make such fast RAM for it.

So your saying i would be better to go with a i5 that has 4 cores instead of a baseline i7 with 8 cores. And just overclock the heck out of it? the extra 4 cores aren't worth it?

You have to take into consideration that an i7 is still a quad core, and it has 8 threads of which 4 are virtual. If your a simple gamer you dont get much out of having HT. Not to mention your looking past the fact that i keep stating 1156 platform shines considerately more with faster RAM. I have a friend that can attest to this having only 1066 RAM that he OCs to 1333. Now like i suggested to the other guy in the other thread an i7 because he specifically stated he will be using 3D modeling programs which actually DO take advantage of those extra threads. If his budget was a tad higher i would have suggested a 930 instead with 6GB Tri-channel RAM.

Crysis can be played with anything over a 2007 build honestly. Adobe programs eat up RAM so you would want more and faster RAM. Specifically if you do ALOT in Photoshop you would want more along the lines of 8GB of RAM. Adobe slows down if it starts to run out of RAM and starts using the pagefile which is considerately slower. Thats just my personal experience though.

Well I'm dissapointed that i have to buy new ram because right now i can only afford 4gb. So i should probably go with the i5 750 or 760 and invest the extra money in a cooler or ram?

Well the difference in price between an i5 and an i7 pretty much makes up for the extra cost of RAM. If you where building say, an AMD rig with 1333 RAM it would probably be fine. Its just i know from personal experience that 1156 loves high speed RAM. Im not saying you should get 8GB of RAM just for Photoshop, but only answering your question pertaining to Adobe. Also i believe CS4 starts allowing hardware acceleration from the video card, so having a supported video card could make up for 4 virtual threads.

Dont get me wrong, if you feel you need an i7 then by all means. Just giving my opinion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom