Tips or How too's on keeping your PC running as smooth as day 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Mods move this if you feel it is better some where else. Wasn't sure myself.

Seems every PC I have owned or built has lost it's "spark" that it had when I first built it. I've been told that windows OS over time will just bog down and become slower. Updates, app updates, more programs you install, etc etc will do this I'm sure.

I was curious what suggestions or tips I can get from everyone that has helped them keep their PC running like a champ.

I initially tried my best to keep the majority of my programs and games on slave drives. Well guess I didn't stick with that very well because my 10 RPM OS hdd that has a max space of 74 gb now only has about 13 gb left on it. I was told that i should try to not use more then half and less I use the better. Is it ok to install everything on a slave drive, AVG, CCC, windows 64 bit programs, etc?

Is it better to have less slave drives attached? I have 4 internal. (One for OS, one for games, storage and the last one is a small guy that I use to test other OS on).

Any way that's all I can think of asking for now. Just looking for some suggestions on trying to get my rig back to zooming around like it use to. I have a lot of storage on my 1 TB hdd and I should look into getting a external to put it on since I do not use a lot of it right now.

Thanks!

How big is your hdd's ? I use my 320gb for windows 7 ult 32bit and keep every type of file organized in diffrerent folders.
To prevent any problems I split that hdd's space into 2 partition about 160.00 each.
Download defraggler and tell it in the configuration to only defrag when your not on your pc and move big files that are being used the most to another part of the hdd platter.
Take my advice and tell defraggler to work between 2am-6am.
Use CCleaner to keep the windows resources and managment cleaned up and up to date.
Microsoft security essentials or even avast have them start up after defraggler is done working.

I know some people hate utitlity suites but give system mechanic 10 standard a try. ;)
It does it's jo correctly and won't disturb you until you leave the computer alone for more than a hour.
I don't know if you fold or not, but if you do, give your cpu a chance to cool down from working very hard.
As a matter of fact get into the habit of shutting your pc off on saturday morning or saturday night.

Last keep your computer parts clean, it will be a little bit better if you wipe up everything after 2 weeks or so. :)

Is Defraggler any different then the standard defragger on w7? Thanks

My hdd are 74gb for OS, and my slaves are 1TB and 250GB

A computer will begin to run slower and as you install , unistall, surf and so on. These problems can be corrected and averted with the right routine maintenance. When you install and uninstall software, much is left in your windows registry that slows down your PC. A good registry cleaner like CClean, which is free, takes care of that. Surfing the web requires a good anti spyware software like SpyBot Search and Destroy, another free download. When you install that it will back up your registry and has a resident app that keeps anything from loading. BAck up regularly, make CD copies of files, tranfer to back up drives. When you perfome routnine maint on a regular basis, Registry clean, anitspyware check, defragment HD's, your computer should run fairly fast and problem free.

To restore it to original speed and perfomance, you have to back up, format HD, and reinstall operation system and programs. A lot of work for sure , but worht the effort occatioanlly. If you reinstall the original operating system, and software you installed when you bult or purchased your comp, it should run jsut as fast as when you bought it. A computer only appears to be slow and outdated when you try to run an operating system or software that is close to or at the minimum specs for your hardware. Thus stay with the original stuff and it will never diisapoint you.

Run the three programs in my signature (not Security Essentials, that's an anti-virus). It's all I ever use (plus Malwarebytes Anti-Malware), about once a month. Keeps my systems squeaky clean. First Malwarebytes, then Spybot, then CCleaner, and then round it off with a defrag at the end.

Is Defraggler any different then the standard defragger on w7? Thanks
It's faster (or meant to be - I've never used the Windows one to test it), with many more features.

Thanks. I ran defraggler last night around 11:30 and it is now 13 hours later and just finishing up all my drives! Guess I had a lot of stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom