GPU overclocking question/confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrysamere

Baseband Member
I have an MSI HD 5830, recently overclocked it stable from 800/1000mhz to 910/1200mhz.

Now it became confusing though, I know my thuban 1055t cpu has quiet n cool and clocks down when it is not getting taxed and I also know that in cpu-Z this was the same case for my 5830, it would be 157/300 when not being taxed... my first over clock was 875/1150 and it still clocked down when not in tax, now this latest overclock is always on meaning it does not clock down..

It always remains at 910/1200... what feature is it to re-enable to make it work like it used to with this over clock? because when it had the not in use down clock feature on it was 20-30 idle, now it's 40's idle.

Imageshack - msiv.jpg

Use GPU-Z for your graphics monitoring. It should show the correct clocks. Also, 40s idle isnt really that bad. Did you up the voltage on the core at all?

No the volts are stock 1.164V , I tested it with furmark and it ran no problems, consistantly for 20 minutes straight, i used the feature BURN right after for 10 minutes. Can we say that means it's stable?

By the way I think I found a loop hole to use when I'm not gaming, there are saved profiles in afterburner, may I switch to the over clocked version when I'm playing a game? like turn it on to 910/1200 when I'm playing a taxing game? and when I'm not doing anything like that just go to profile 1 which is 800/1000?? OR do I have to remain consistant and at the same speeds or else the speed changes damage the hardware? this is my most important question.

You can switch it lower when not gaming, that's the point of profiles. By default it automatically slows down when not in use (my 5870 goes to 400 core when not in use, jumps up to whatever you have it set at under load). Changing the clock won't hurt it.

Well there's something about power play... stock settings=power play is enabled, over-clock=it disables itself, where can I manually tinker with it? what is it's location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom