Looking to upgrade my current system

Status
Not open for further replies.

zebadee2010

Solid State Member
So I have a budget of roughly $500. I'm looking to buy either an Intel i7 or an AMD Phenom II processor. My current system includes a Core 2 Quad Q8200, 8GB RAM (4 x 2GB) of DDR2, I have a 500W PSU, and a Radeon HD 4890. I also have a very basic 500 Gb hard drive.

So my question is should I go with the i7 (4 core not 6) or go with an AMD processor (either 4 or 6). I would like to know a good motherboard to go with it. It would be great to be able to reuse my DDR2 but i will buy DDR3 only if necessary.

To reuse your DDR2, you will have to go with AMD and get a AM3/AM2+/AM2 board. Since you will basically only be buying a CPU and board (possibly PSU), you might as well go with a x6. I don't have time to post anything, but will tonight.

Alright, i thought i might mention that i will be using this primarily for gaming with some slight video editing/encoding work on the side. I think i would also like to know if i might be better to just upgrade my video card or grab a SSD. Overclocking is also an option, it be great if that could be kept in mind when looking for a mobo and a processor. I want most bang for my buck!

Obviously, upgrading to a DDR3 system would be faster but if you want to reuse your RAM youll need an AM2+ board.

If you went to Intel i would suggest either the i5 750 or i7 930. I think 500 isnt enough to get x58, DDR3, and a 930 though. I dont think youll see much justice in getting an X4 so if you upgrade X6 would be the more logical option.

Unless you absolutely need a new system id probably just upgrade your video card, or get the SSD. How high do you have the 8200 clocked?

I think stock it was 2.66 and i had it up to 2.9 before i added 4gb more ram, and now its at 2.8.

What do you think would be a average price for the intel route.

My only problem with an i5 is that it doesn't have hyper-threading. Also an i5 wouldn't be much of an increase over my current Core 2 Quad. Also what benefit would there be over adding a i5?

Well what exactly do you do with your rig? Anything CPU demanding youll see an instant increase in performance like encoding ect. Not to mention most i5s do 3.6-4ghz on air easy. Mines doing 4.2ghz with my TRUE120 and if i had a better board could do 4.4ghz. As was mentioned in a few threads now the Core i architecture is alot better than its predecessor and Phenom 2. If you had say maybe a Q9550 id say the upgrade to an i5 wouldnt be that worth it but 2.9 Q8200 to an i5 750 would be a pretty good increase still depending on how high you clock it. Not to mention, your current C2Q doesnt have HT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom