*TAKE THE DAMN MOTHERBOARD COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN SYSTEM*

I second that. Get your money back

get an amd board and processor
they are simpler to put together and if something is put in wrong,
the computer just won't boot.

you won't fry anything

you think the pentium people will have figure out and fix that problem by now

Nubius said:
Also BTW: Is your CPU a Celeron? because if it is the motherboard you linked to DOES NOT support it....which would be the cause of your problems. It supports up to a 2.8GHz which obviously a 3.0GHz is PAST that.....I know nothing of Intels so just by P4 3.0E GHz tells me nothing. Whats the actual model of your CPU. If it's Celeron your problem lies there and you need a 2.8GHz chip. Otherwise it should be able to support it.

As I already stated, not a Celeron.

Nubius said:

Well I wouldn't doubt compaq give you a BS report. They try very little troubleshooting techniques and are quick to blame parts and claim you need a new one. You should have listened to my long thread of suggestions up there.

CompUSA....
Nubius said:

*TAKE THE DAMN MOTHERBOARD COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN SYSTEM*

How many times do I have to do this??? Do you relize how many times I've done this....I've spent way too much money to start all over again with AMD.

Nubius said:
Quit wasting money on compaq...if you want real troubleshooting hell send the computer to me and pay me to do it. If they said it would POST (which is a little different than actual booting up) then the motherboard is working properly....if you've got a new CPU then that should be working properly as the chances of getting two CPU's in a row that don't work are pretty slim.

What the hell is POST anyways? wtf Why is it different from booting, why in the hell are there 2 different terms for this.

Nubius said:
BTW: How are you 'feeling' your processor? Your hands shouldn't be anywhere in the damn case when it's on, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Have you properly seated your heatsink and put on thermal compound!?!

Hey, the fan is completly in. I know exactly what the hell I'm doing, find something else better to do then try to put people down. I put my two fingers near the copper portion on the fan and felt heat.

[It sounds like you're not listening to enough of our suggestions and trying them out thoroughly which is a shame because you probably could have had this solved by now

That's BS. I've tried every single one...you just need to read some of my posts.

Please someone....:(

I dont want to be rude but that post was just crazy. Sorry.

It's just I don't know what the problem is and I've been without a computer for like over 2 weeks now. I owe my father $300+ for extra money we have spent. This entire time I have not gotten display...very frustrating.

Anyone?

When I get home I'm going to try a 2.0Ghz P4 and a 2.0Ghz Celeron from two people I know. Accoring to the CompUSA report, "their" processer worked. I'm hoping that if I use one of the two processers that I can boot, then that would tell me the problem is my P4 3.0ghz processer, but I doubt I got second bad processer in a row. Also...when the processer is in, the hard drive light comes on and it does not light up when the processer is not in, so I'm assuming it might not be the processer, but I did notice this and I thought it was worth noting.

When I get home I'll try a few things, then call CompUSA.

The two other processers I'll be testing are on the compatible list for the motherboard, so I'm hoping things go well.

I think you misunderstand. When we say take the MBD out, we dont mean RETURN it, we mean set it up OUT of the case. The reason for this is some cases suck. They use metal and no plastic sheathes. If it runs (like you, I THINK, said earlier in your post) while being out of the case then the problem is that it is touching some metal in the case (probably hooks or screws, yes some MBD's have hooks, there was a post with that here once), then it shorts out. Then you have you problem and a way to solve it. Another thing to check is to make sure things like memory is seated completely. Sometimes you have to give it a scary amount of pressure before it seats properly. This has happened to me once. Had to give it a pretty good amount of pressure to get the clips to lock the memory in place. Same thing with the vid card. A few other things to check are the amount of thermal paste. To much is bad, as well as to little. Also, under the CPU is a small wire looking thing. Make sure it is not just flat, but actually touching the bottom of the CPU as that is the temp measure.

YES!!!!!

I found out the problem!!! Well...like I said...I came home and tested the whole thing on my dads 2.0Ghz Pentuim 4 chip instead of the second 3.0Ghz Pentuim 4 (I returned the first one, second one is doing the same thing as the first)

and.....

It booted!! Everything works fine...which means yes...the second 3.0Ghz is also bad!! I'm hearing a lot of talk and a lot of people are telling me I should not have bought my processer at Fry's Electronics now lol. I think a large portion of their 3.0Ghz are bad or something...so I'm returning the chip yet again and getting a 2.8Ghz instead. I rather take a working 2.8Ghz then a dead 3.0Ghz lol.

Thanks to all for helping me, It has been hard but I'm glad I found the exact problem and I know what I need to do.

Thanks Again :D

David Waters

Yeah. I told you according to the link the top supported celeron was 2.8GHz....are you sure you weren't trying to put in a 3.0GHz celeron the whole time? If you were that would have caused all those problems and wouldn't have been due to bad chips.

No No No I've been using a Pentuim 4 3.0Ghz the entire time Nubius...not a Celeron. I've said that several times. Which the motherboard supports...of course if the processer is not defective LOL. I'm in my Cisco class at the moment and our teacher is telling me that Fry's Electronics is known for selling a lot of defective stuff now because they take it and put it right back on the shelve :mad: lol.

I think what nubius was saying was that the specs of that mobo did not support a 3.0ghz processor.. Pretty sure thats what he is saying.. And by that he means that the 3.0 processor you got is not bad, it just doesnt work with that motherboard.

Next time try checking out the specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom