Thinking of buying this HP, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason why you want the Ultimate edition? I feel its a huge waste of $$ for the average consumer. Take a look at this chart before you decide to spend an extra 80.00

*Chart*

The only reason I am getting the Ultimate Edition is because it is cheaper... WHAT!?! Yes, because I am a student, I am able to get the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit upgrade for 64.95 at school. But but but... it's an upgrade, you dont have anything to upgrade from!?! Well my buddy has a mac and somehow (ask not, know not) he has a windows 7 and windows vista disks, he uploaded the windows 7 on his computer and he is willing to give (or sell for 10 or 20$) the vista disk. Once I have the vista loaded, I will be able to upgrade to the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit for under $100... otherwise the HP is what? $120 or so?

I definitely agree with what you're saying though, if this situation wasn't the way it is, I would have purchased the W7 HP without a doubt.

UPDATE: The computer has arrived today, and I picked up a keyboard last night, so once I get the OS later today from school, I will probably start the hookup with my buddy on Saturday, my GF has already transfered over "HER" laptop to her desk now lol

Update:

My and my buddy started working on putting the computer together around 7:30pm and as of now, 1:15am, the computer if fully built, and when I plug it in, flip the power switch the green LED on the MB comes on, when we hit the power button.... nothing. After messing with different thing for about an hour or so, we ended up with a 1/8 of a turn from one of the fans, but thats it...

I need some suggestions ASAP guys, this is frustrating :(

Thanks in advance!

... make sure every plug is fully seated

also make sure the power switch leads to the mother board are in the right place and plugged in all the way

make sure the ram is in the right slots

make sure video card is seated properly

make sure the CPU is seated properly

make sure no piece of metal is touching the motherboard that shouldnt be ( shorting it out )

Did you use standoffs under the mobo?

Do all of what Sean said, of course.

Double-check the connectors from the front panel and make sure they are on the right prongs.

You can also try booting it without the RAM and see what beep code(s) you get (if the board has a speaker, that is).

... make sure every plug is fully seated
If by seated you mean tight/locked/clicked, then yes we double checked that

also make sure the power switch leads to the mother board are in the right place and plugged in all the way
I have the 4pin connector on the MB so I plugged in the corresponding 4 of 8 from the PSU (as instructed)

make sure the ram is in the right slots
I double checked the manual and I have them slotted correctly

make sure video card is seated properly
The video card is tightly locked into place

make sure the CPU is seated properly
the CPU is also locked in tightly

make sure no piece of metal is touching the motherboard that shouldnt be ( shorting it out )
All the end of the wires I am not using have plastic connectors so nothing looks to be grounding out

Did you use standoffs under the mobo?
If standoffs are the gold things that screw into the case and provide the whole at the top for the attaching of the MB, then yes.

Do all of what Sean said, of course.
Check!

Double-check the connectors from the front panel and make sure they are on the right prongs.
This confused us a little and after finding an adapter that spelled everything out very easily for us, they are hooked in correctly

You can also try booting it without the RAM and see what beep code(s) you get (if the board has a speaker, that is).
I tried booting with 2 sticks, then 1 stick and no beeps, nothing but the green LED from the MB and maybe a 1/8 turn from one of the fans...

Sorry for the late reply (above in red), I replied earlier from my phone and I guess it never went through.

As of now I have everything but the Processor and the heatsink disconnected, I will try re-installing everything again tonight

Sounds like your board doesn't have a speaker on it. Asus is bad about that. That means there won't be any beeps. :(

Sounds like your board doesn't have a speaker on it. Asus is bad about that. That means there won't be any beeps. :(

I installed the little speaker on the MB where I plugged in all the LED's and power button connectors... I have a buddy over and his brother is an IT guy and they are on the phone right now... if they cant figure it out I will try and list out every connection I have to see if you can see where I have something installed wrong or and missing a connection...

STAY TUNED!! :( (and thanks for all the advice so far)

EDIT: What are the chances the Power supply is D.O.A.? I tried to jump start it by having everything plugged in, then taking out the start button plug and just connect the prongs with a screw driver, and nothing, I also hooked up the green wire and a black wire from the 24 pin connector from the Power Supply to a multi meter and go no reading when on the 20V setting...

Update: I came home last night after researching how to test my Power Supply to see if that was bad. I took it out of the case and disconnected it from everything. I think connected a wire I had laying around to the Green (Turn on) wire and the Black (ground) wire from the 24pin connector, then plugged in a single fan from the case and the flipped the switch, and WHALA! the PSU fan turned on, and the case fan turned on... what a relief!! I then turned it off and plugged it into all 3 of the case fans and corresponding LED's and they all turned on, WOW! I then plugged in the DVD/CD player and the HDD and THEY both came on, IM ON A ROLL!!

I then plugged it into the mobo and nothing :(

I used all the gold screw adapters under the mobo, and I can't see anything grounding so I think my mobo is DOA. I called ASUS last night and everyone was busy and they didn't return my call so I will call them again today to see if there is a way to test it before I send it back to newegg.

So I called Asus last night and they told me how to test the mobo (by taking it out of the case and putting it on a piece of cardboard/news paper/etc. then plug it into the PSU and see if it is grounding out with the case). I did that and it still didn't turn on, they said if it didn't turn on, it was DOA and I need to return it... so I will pack up all the stuff tonight (the box said it came with 5 cords but I have no idea which out of the 50 that are on my table, they are lol).

Once I get the new mobo, I'll do another update.

Thanks again for the help all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom