Why are Q9550's more expensive than AMD's 1055t's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A home server needs bairly anything... an commercial server needs to be a beast, btw they go up to 4 cpus and like 160Gigs of ram.

The 939 chips were top notch back then as the PIV was a flop!

Luke, I only remember hearing a lot about the 939 sockets and that was some years ago. I think at one time they were a hot item and there was quite a demand for them. Not sure about now...And I have no clue as to what the needs of a server might be...I just read somewhere that some server boards have the ability to run two processors at one time[as in two CPU's and two sockets]....I thought that was fairly unique!

I too like to upgrade...usually about every 12-24 months...to be honest with you, I suppose it is more of a hobby than a real need. I like fast and I like to live on the cutting edge or at least near it if it does not cost me an arm and a leg.

Now about AMD's...I no next to nothing about their processors...I found the 1055T on an outrageous sale and the idea of 6 cores caught my attention in the sense of future proofing...so I purchased it. But....months later...

As I read several different posts from several different forums, I am hearing some negative things already about these new AMD CPU's and now I am not so sure about it. I have read many posts that clearly state that the Phenom 2 processors are designed to have the RAM to be run at 1333Mhz! Also, some of the posts are saying I can damage the memory controller on the CPU if I run RAM faster than 1333Mhz. The guys posting this stuff are not AMD newbies but seasoned builders and testers...If I had heard this before, I probably would have steered away from the AMD CPU's and stuck with the Intel's that have never given me even one problem in the past...

Have you any thoughts on these comments?

Soar
i honestly dont know for sure, as i have been an intel guy since after my 939 build, but i would say that is just rumor. I mean, running past 1333 and damaging the memory controller on the die? i really really doubt that, but it could be true, who knows, maybe someone more knowledgeable about new amd cpu's around here can answer that for you.

A home server needs bairly anything... an commercial server needs to be a beast, btw they go up to 4 cpus and like 160Gigs of ram.

The 939 chips were top notch back then as the PIV was a flop!

Patonb, ok, thanks for that tidbit of knowledge on he 939 chip. Are you still into AMD's and if yes, what are all these reports about the newer AMD chips being designed to run RAM at 1333MhZ? Is it all hype or are these guys for real?

Soar

bsmeters.gif

The mobo is what decides what speed to try to run the RAM. My mobo uses 1333 as its native, but I can bump it to 1600 which is the native speed of my RAM. Running the RAM at a speed higher than 1333 has no adverse effect on AMD CPUs other than what any overclocking would have on any CPU/mobo.

Patonb, ok, thanks for that tidbit of knowledge on he 939 chip. Are you still into AMD's and if yes, what are all these reports about the newer AMD chips being designed to run RAM at 1333MhZ? Is it all hype or are these guys for real?

Soar

My last AMD was a 939 in a laptop.... sorry.

But Trotters reasoning seems right.

We have recommended several builds with AMD processors and 1600MHz RAM and I never heard a complain. Never heard of that problem before...

bsmeters.gif

The mobo is what decides what speed to try to run the RAM. My mobo uses 1333 as its native, but I can bump it to 1600 which is the native speed of my RAM. Running the RAM at a speed higher than 1333 has no adverse effect on AMD CPUs other than what any overclocking would have on any CPU/mobo.

Trotter,

Ok, thanks for the info. The people at the other site must be thinking wrong. My new MB should do just fine then setting the RAM at 1600mhZ, so I feel great about that.

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom