Help! Computer randomly shutting down or recently just crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caff9432

Beta member
Hello, new user, hopefully this will be in the correct forum.

I did my first home build around 2 years ago and everything has been running very smoothly until recently. It seems that about 2 times a day my computer will randomly shut down. And starting today the computer will just crash, no blue screen or anything, just stop function and not allow me to do anything, the only fix is to power off via power button.

I have tried cleaning out inside of all dust, but other than that mostly a tech novice.

Things I do know:
I checked my temp; CPU is @ 34 degrees C and MB is @ 32 degrees C so i do not assume it to be a heat problem.

I bought all my components from newegg:

Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

CD drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223Q LightScribe Support - OEM

Video Card
ASUS EN9500GT OC/DI/512M GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Motherboard
ASUS P5K PRO LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E7200

Power Supply
hec Raptor500 500W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready Passive PFC Power Supply

Any ideas suggestions? Please help!

Thanks, Shawn

Under computer properties, go to advanced system settings and under the advanced tab under start up and recovery, make sure the box that says automatically restart under system failure is NOT checked and check the box that says write an event to the system log. This way you will get the blue screen with a stop code that you can post here or google. It does concern me that the only way out of it is to hard reset it. If there is anymore details you can provide, please do.

To Reikokuko: Ya, i am concerned as well about the crashed and hard reboot option, this only began today where as the system shut down has happened a lot in the past few weeks. I went in and applied pressure to all the cards and plugs to see if anything has come a bit loose, would that cause these problems?

I'm having trouble figuring out how to run a memory check using memtest86+. As for going in and un-checking the automatically restart under system failure, I did that. Sorry, really not that PC literate. Thanks for the help so far!

you need to download the memtest iso. Burn the iso file to cd (not putting the iso file itself on cd). then you restart and boot from it.

The crashes you are describing could be a number of things but I wouldn't say any plugs or wires are causing it from the outside. Its most likely a driver or something on the inside. What Operating System are you running? Also, is there anything specific that you notice you are doing when these crashes happen? For example running a program or trying to play a game.

For the memory test, check your BIOS menu, I know mine has a utility to test memory (if the whole iso thing is confusing).

Hi, so I went in and took apart the entire computer and re built it thinking that it might be a faulty connection based on the fact that I just recently moved. From my bios I think i checked memory correctly and no problem, I also booted up with each individual 2 gig stick only and comp worked for a while just fine. But, its back to randomly turning off and/or crashing. One thing that I over looked is a lot of times I will have to unplug and replug in my USB mouse and Keyboard because they are not functioning, after replugging in they work just fine.

As for what I am doing when the issues happen. Pretty much everything from looking @ the net, to playing starcraft, to using my word or excel... Could it be a faulty motherboard? or maybe a bad power supply, in my novice opinion I think it is one of those two.

Thanks again, Oh and using Windows XP

Download HW Monitor and run the program. Let it run for 30 minutes, if possible, and post a screenshot showing all the info. Don't post a screenshot showing your whole desktop as we won't be able to read the HW Monitor info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom