CPU / Mobo / RAM Upgrade Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark strike1

In Runtime
Hey Guys,

Haven't been in the forums for a while, so I am not sure if upgrading right now is worth it. My current configuration is in my signature.

Is it even worth upgrading to the i7 platform from a Q9450? Or would my investment be better in some new HDD, as I know the Raptor X's are becoming aged.

Opinions Welcome. :big_smile:

A Q9450 @2.66GHz scores 4022 on PassMark, while an i7 920 @ 2.67GHz scores 5565. The 950 @ 3.07GHz scores 6,274.

It would be an improvement, but it would be up to you to decide if it would be worth the money.

Incidentally, the AMD Phenom II X6 1035T scores 4,752, the X6 1045T scores 5208, and the X6 1090T scores 6090.

I would personally say no and to wait until this coming year for Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer.

These chips should show up in mainstream PCs early next year, he said, and in more platforms over the rest of 2011 and 2012. AMD's first "fusion" processor, based on its Ontario processor, is expected at around the same time, though Intel seems to be offering more CPUs cores and is on a smaller process (32nm vs. 40 nm). Obviously, we won't really be able to compare until we see final systems.
Intel's 'Sandy Bridge': New Chip, New Capabilities | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Of course, it's hardly a given that things will go to plan for AMD. After all, this new architecture, known as Bulldozer, was supposed to be on sale last year. At best, we'll see it early in 2011
AMD Bulldozer: The fightback begins in 2011 | News | TechRadar UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom