Monitor for photo editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

corei5

Baseband Member
hmm people said my syncmaster 24" is only good for gaming but ok for photo editing and that made me wonder and tried to look for a nice but cheap monitor for photo editing.

also im using 5870 ATI so yeh I want to pull out the power of this gpu to work with the monitor for photo editing.

some members from the photography forum said that IPS is much better for photo editing than TN monitor like my syncmaster 24" P2450.

difference between IPS and TN monitor?

budget £120-150

my Brother does some pretty hard core photo editing on his 10" Net book, you dont need a fancy monitor... yours will do just fine.

hmm well yeah but when it comes to photography i think correct color is a must but if its just photo manipulate like gfx works then maybe its fine.

still any other thoughts?

If you want a color-accurate monitor for professional level color matching and such then go with an IPS panel (they're pretty expensive but have a very consistent color response across the panel and have a wide viewing angle). If you go that route you can buy various devices to tune the monitor for perfect color response. If you aren't editing at that professional level then I would just suggest a normal TN panel. TN panels do not have as great of color response (they are getting much better but I think are still limited to 6 bit color internally) and sometimes have color differences between areas of the screen (may be brighter at the bottom or top, etc). TN panels do have a better response time than IPS so they are recommended for gaming (need to be able to change view quickly and don't want ghosting). TN panels have a reduced viewing angle (if you look at them from extreme angles the colors can look way off, mine looks yellowish from an angle) so you should look directly at them. That said, TN panels are much cheaper than IPS panels.

I have 3 Dell ST2210's which are TN and the colors are bright and vivid but with a multi-monitor setting you look at the side monitors at an angle and the colors do seem a bit off so I have to look directly at them for the colors to be right. I used an IPS panel at work over the summer and it had good color but I'm not sure it was worth the $400 price tag. I think if pictures look good on your current monitor just stick with it, you don't need an expensive IPS panel to do photo editing if it's just personal photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom