CPU Temp on XP 2600+

Status
Not open for further replies.

sKaD

Baseband Member
Well, after the computer kept shutting of I removed the heatsink and put it back on and it finally started and after trying to figure everything out and tried installing windows it shut off again.

I look in the Bios and it says the CPU temp was 88 degrees C :eek:

Is that a fried CPU now?

Guess it wasn't smart to not apply the thermal grease I didn't see that came in the fan box..

has your bios got a feature enabled that shuts your computer down at a certain temperature or was it just cutting out?

Akm2k said:
has your bios got a feature enabled that shuts your computer down at a certain temperature or was it just cutting out?

I haven't a clue. It's running fine now that I've put on the thermal grease, forgot to take out the Windows XP cd-rom so couldn't check the temp in the BIOS again, but now it's formatting the HDD and hasn't shut off so I'm sure the problem is solved and my CPU isn't fried..

*sigh*

I hate computers ;)

I hate computers
Why? That was the end-users fault not the computers ;)

But yeah you came pretty damn close to frying it. You should check your BIOS because generally most newer ones have safety shut off temperatures or at the very least warning temps. So check for that and put it around 65C although with a 2600+ XP you should be down in the 40's and hitting 50's on full load.

I went back into the Bios and it was sitting at 38C after I added the thermal grease.

I know it was my fault. I haven't built a computer in over 4 years. Kinda crazy I knew more about this stuff when I was 13/14 than I do now.

*sigh*

sKaD said:
Well, after the computer kept shutting of I removed the heatsink and put it back on and it finally started and after trying to figure everything out and tried installing windows it shut off again.

I look in the Bios and it says the CPU temp was 88 degrees C :eek:

Is that a fried CPU now?

Guess it wasn't smart to not apply the thermal grease I didn't see that came in the fan box..

thermal grease is a start. Making sure you have a good quality fan (not the fans from AMD) would be advisable too.

I am a bit fan (ha ha... get it?) of Thermaltake Volcanos or Silent Boosts. My 2600 under load is about 41c.

All in all, it does sound like you have an overheating issue, and you will need to deal with it SOON!

sKaD said:
I went back into the Bios and it was sitting at 38C after I added the thermal grease.

I know it was my fault. I haven't built a computer in over 4 years. Kinda crazy I knew more about this stuff when I was 13/14 than I do now.

*sigh*
BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

Cherubimon_3.20 said:
I highly doubt that your temp is 88 degrees.
Ditto. Like accordng to my MSI MoBo Bios, my smaller computer normally is at 117c. Plus last year I had a few computer that were sitting on 90c.

One of the reasons why I find having a third party termparture gauge is more realable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom