Getting ram to run at 800 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorpian

In Runtime
Hi everyone.
I have a little problem, I wasn't very careful when I bought this PC back in the day before so I bought a mobo little incompatible with some stuff. My Motherboard is 945PL-S3P
1-Supports up to FSB 1066 for cpu's only, while my e8400 is FSB 1333, no biggie fixed by oc'ing, see my thread for more info if you'd like http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/e8400-3-00-ghz-cpu-running-2-4-ghz-only-235826/
Now I have another problem, my 2 x 2gb DDR2 ram should run at 800 MHz, but max of my mobo is 667 MHz, and a friend told me even if you could get it to run 800 MHz, 800/2 = 400 MHz ie not equal to CPU bus speed and will cause it to bottleneck sometimes.
My question is, can I overclock my rams to 400 MHz ( ie its stock speed ), and safely overclock my CPU more to 3.6 GHz ( since it was actually overclocked from 2.4 GHz to its stock due to the FSB problem, here's the thread link again that explains the problem http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/e8400-3-00-ghz-cpu-running-2-4-ghz-only-235826/ ).
And if it's not possible to push my CPU that far, can't I change its bus speed to 400 MHz but lowen its multiplier from 9 to 8, causing it to run at 3.2 Ghz?
Keep in mind, my CPU cooler isn't stock but isn't really a good one either, this thing I bought for like 6 bucks ( because my stock cooler went kaboom and the shop gave me this when I went to it ).
Thanks everyone.
P.S If you need pictures of CPU-Z or any other app, please tell me

No one can tell you what you're cpu can do seeing as each one is different. What I would recommend is setting the ram bus to the 400 and see if it boots stable. Now if you wanted to or if it wont oc your ram all you can do is keep bumping up your clocks until either a. you become unstable or hit to high of heat or b. you hit the frequencies you want/desire.

I'm only giving you my ideas I'm sure someone has a better idea. But that's where I would start.

Thanks for your help and sorry for late reply.
Sorry if this is kinda noobish but:
1-Where to change ram clocks in bios? Sorry I never did oc'ing of any means, whether CPU or whatnot
2-What are good apps to measure RAM Temps? ( If any exist, but I think they do as you said " you become unstable or hit to high of heat " so I suppose with high of heat you mean Ram heat, correct?
Also if I successfully manage to get my Ram running @ 800 Mhz ( which is its stock speed but more than my motherboard could support ), wouldn't the cpu with a bus speed of 333 MHz underclock an overclocked 400 MHz ram?
Thanks.

1. I'm not familiar with that board so I have no idea on what the bios looks like.
You asked about being undercut by the 333 bus speed. Well that is exactly what you want to change if I'm reading correctly.
Go ahead in your bios and change the 333 to 400 and that should be your ram bus.
If you lose the ability to boot or you blue screen reset your bios.

Don't know how? On the motherboard there is a small watch battery. Remove this battery along with the power cable from the power supply. Hold down the power button to fully discharge the system. Wait 2-3 minutes then reinstall the battery and plug in your system. Your reset is now complete

2. Very, very rarely do boards have heat monitors near the ram and even if they did it's not accurate nor necessary. You're ram won't overheat. It can (kinda, its really hard actually lol) but not in this case because it's rated for 400(800)mhz
The only real temps you need to watch are all available on the program HWMonitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom