Newbie to overclocking; need help with i7 920.

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
I was able to find a really good guide to overclocking online, but it turns out it was written for previous generations of Intel chips, so it wouldn't really apply to mine. I was wondering if anyone could give me a step-by-step look at what need to be done. The old guide that I liked was basically along the lines of "Step 1: Increase your FSB by 5-10. Step 2: Run a stress test. If it passes, repeat Step 1; if it fails, dial it back to the last value at which it passed. Step 3: Increase (whatever the next setting is) by yada yada yada."

I've got an Alienware Aurora with version 9 of the BIOS.

You follow the same basic principles overclocking the i7 as you outlined above. Some of the settings and voltages have been renamed but it's still done the same way.

Here is a link to my guide, or helper, it explains what all the basic settings and voltages are.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i7-overclocking-guide-224693/

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them, but you have to be willing to help yourself as I can't do it for you.

So the memory multiplier is used to keep the memory within spec? In other words, I may need to lower is as I go with a higher BCLK?

Ok.so I ran LinX for 20 minutes on my stock settings. The highest my temps got was 69 degrees C. What is the highest I can go? er... what is the highest I can SAFELY go? lol

EDIT---Ok, so I read 70 degrees is the safe limit... I'm liquid cooled, and I'm only a degree off max. Is that bad?

whats your overclock and voltage? also make sure your ram timings are fatory spec and not at auto, same for ram voltage, make sure its set to the right voltage. and for liquid cooled those are outrageous temps, my max load temp is 35°C after 5 hours of running LinX. what are the components to your loop?

Ok, so I went into my BIOS, and was able to find a way to change the BCLK from 133 to 138. This would put the memory frequency at 1380, while it is rated at 1333, so I'd change the memory divider from 10 to 8, right? The only thing I can't figure out is the Uncore Frequency... I get that it should be minimum 16, but I can't find the setting anywhere in my BIOS. Is this something that is locked on Alienware computers, or am I not looking in the right place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom